Edward Tobacco, 78, beloved husband, father, son, brother, grandpa, and friend to many, died Sept. 8, 1999 at Harrison Hospital.
He was born June 5, 1921 in Ravensdale, WA, to Edward and Mary Tobacco. Ed graduated from Enumclaw High School in 1939 and married his sweetheart, Helen Irene Delvo on June 12, 1944 in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.Mr. Tobacco served in the Navy from 1944-1946 during World War II. Upon discharge, he continued his electrical apprenticeship at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and worked there many years. Later, at the Subic Bay Naval Shipyard in the Philippines, he served as head of all weapons and electrical divisions. Following that he was Group Superintendent of Long Beach Naval Shipyard from 1968 to 1974 over Electric, Electronics and Weapons. After receiving The Civilian Service Award from the Department of the Navy in 1974, Ed retired and built his home in Seabeck, WA.
Ed was an outstanding basketball and softball player. He officiated high school and college basketball games for 26 years. In 1991, he was inducted into the Kitsap County Old Timers Hall of Fame. He was a great outdoorsman and especially enjoyed fishing in Alaska with his son and best friend, Eddie Lee. He was a member of The Elks and The Gold Mountain Golf Club.
Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Helen Tobacco of Seabeck; a son, Edward Lee Tobacco (Judy) of Juneau, Alaska; a daughter, Robin Tobacco Kimball (Bill) of Salt Lake City, Utah; a sister, Evelyn Palmer of Seattle; 12 grandchildren, Juanita Rauch, Tammy Bay, and Angela Webb of Juneau, Alaska; Mark Tobacco of Olalla; Ashley Kimball Moffat, Bill Jr., Steven, Becky, Shannon, Daniel, Natalie and Michael Kimball, all of Salt Lake City; eight great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
All friends are invited to a memorial service at the Bremerton Elks Lodge 1181 at 2 p.m. on Sept. 13. Memorial donations may be made to Bremerton Babe Ruth, c/o Kathy Cooper, 3215 Ridgeview Drive NE, Bremerton, WA 98310.
T 9/12T 9/12
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 123
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9