Edward Tobacco, 78, beloved husband, father, son, brother, grandpa, and friend to many, died Sept. 8, 1999 at Harrison Hospital.
He was born June 5, 1921 in Ravensdale, WA, to Edward and Mary Tobacco. Ed graduated from Enumclaw High School in 1939 and married his sweetheart, Helen Irene Delvo on June 12, 1944 in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.Mr. Tobacco served in the Navy from 1944-1946 during World War II. Upon discharge, he continued his electrical apprenticeship at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and worked there many years. Later, at the Subic Bay Naval Shipyard in the Philippines, he served as head of all weapons and electrical divisions. Following that he was Group Superintendent of Long Beach Naval Shipyard from 1968 to 1974 over Electric, Electronics and Weapons. After receiving The Civilian Service Award from the Department of the Navy in 1974, Ed retired and built his home in Seabeck, WA.
Ed was an outstanding basketball and softball player. He officiated high school and college basketball games for 26 years. In 1991, he was inducted into the Kitsap County Old Timers Hall of Fame. He was a great outdoorsman and especially enjoyed fishing in Alaska with his son and best friend, Eddie Lee. He was a member of The Elks and The Gold Mountain Golf Club.
Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Helen Tobacco of Seabeck; a son, Edward Lee Tobacco (Judy) of Juneau, Alaska; a daughter, Robin Tobacco Kimball (Bill) of Salt Lake City, Utah; a sister, Evelyn Palmer of Seattle; 12 grandchildren, Juanita Rauch, Tammy Bay, and Angela Webb of Juneau, Alaska; Mark Tobacco of Olalla; Ashley Kimball Moffat, Bill Jr., Steven, Becky, Shannon, Daniel, Natalie and Michael Kimball, all of Salt Lake City; eight great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
All friends are invited to a memorial service at the Bremerton Elks Lodge 1181 at 2 p.m. on Sept. 13. Memorial donations may be made to Bremerton Babe Ruth, c/o Kathy Cooper, 3215 Ridgeview Drive NE, Bremerton, WA 98310.
T 9/12T 9/12
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 38
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 22
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15