Irene passed away at home on August 31, 1999 after a lengthy illness.
She was born March 16, 1941 to Lawrence R. and Sylva Smith in Twin Falls, Idaho. Shortly after, the family moved to Boise, Idaho where she was raised and educated. She was an athletic young girl that excelled in sports. Many summers were spent on family farms in Burley, Idaho.A 30 year career in nursing not only provided her with a means to support her children, but allowed her to use her many talents to help people. She had a strength of character and determination that allowed her to be very successful at the various facilities in Idaho, Utah, and Arizona. She retired in 1997, from Holy Cross Hospital in Salt Lake City after 15 years.
Surviving are her mother, Sylva; her siblings and their families, Norman Lavell and Carol Smith, Robert and Joyce Smith, and Connie and Ralph Groover; her children and families, Barbara and Kim Orgill, Brenda Higbee, Bridgett and Darren Lycklama, Randy and Lisa Evans, and Robin Sampson; 12 grandchildren and one great-grandson; numerous extended family members. Mom will be missed by us children - she was our pillar of strength and a wealth of knowledge. She was preceded in death by her father and her grandparents.
Funeral services will be held Monday, Sept. 6, 1999 at 2:00 p.m. in the Larkin Sunset Gardens Mortuary Chapel, 10600 South 1700 East, where friends may call one hour prior to the services. Interment will be Tuesday 3:00 p.m. in the View Cemetery, View, Idaho.
The family suggests memorial contributions be made in her memory to the American Lung Association.
T 9/4N 9/4
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14