Not many people have showy vines growing inside their home, but this is an unusual greenhouse. He has fragrant jasmine in bloom in early February and several of the columns in the greenhouse are covered with Creeping Ficus, a tropical vine related to rubber trees.
After seeing so much beauty inside what was once an ordinary subdivision home, I asked Lassig why he and his wife devoted so much time to growing these plants.
"It is glorious to be in love with horticulture," he said. "It is a disease that I will never recover from."
It is easy to see that it is not just his thumb that is green, but his blood is tinged also. This beautiful work of art is a tribute to the love and skill that he and his wife share as they garden both indoors and out.
Larry A. Sagers is a horticulture specialist for the Utah State University Extension Service at Thanksgiving Point.
Wasatch Community Gardens class, "Growing in Greenhouses Workshop Series," Tuesday, Feb. 21, 6-8 p.m., Mountain Valley Seeds, 455 W. 1700 South, Salt Lake City. Cost: $10 each. Register for all three workshops on consecutive Tuesdays for the discounted price of $25. Pre-registration required.
Fruit tree pruning: Learn the correct way to prune your fruit trees to improve crop production and breakage and damage. Includes USU Pruning Bulletin and handouts. Choose from five single classes at Thanksgiving Point. Feb. 16, 2-4 p.m.; Feb. 21, 2-4 p.m.; Feb. 21, 6-8 p.m.; March 3, 9-11 a.m.; March 3, noon-2 p.m. For registration and more information, please call 801-768-7443.
Budding and grafting class: Learn propagation techniques of fruit trees. These principles and techniques also apply to ornamental plants. Learn how to preserve old varieties or propagate new plants through asexual propagation. At Thanksgiving Point, Feb. 27. For registration and more information and to order rootstocks for the class, please call 801-768-7443.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- 'The Voice' gives Tanner Linford a chance to...
- Bill Murray shines as 'St. Vincent'
- Have 'The Simpsons' gotten a bad rap?
- Utah families strive to raise awareness of...
- Classic films to help make your Halloween...
- Pumpkins grown at prison delivered to children
- Marvel superheroes power up 'Disney Infinity...
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 16
- Old-fashioned soda shops making... 3
- San Francisco radio stations ban hit... 2
- Oh, Internet. Why you gotta be so rude?... 1
- Classic films to help make your... 1
- Foreign films lead new movies on... 1
- Horror cliches abound in tedious 'Ouija' 1
- Have 'The Simpsons' gotten a bad rap? 1