As expected, next week's 2A state tournament is shaping up to be a two-team race after Saturday's regional wrestling meets at the Sevier Valley Center in Richfield.
Millard dominated the A Regionals on Saturday, qualifying 26 wrestlers to state and finishing with eight champions as it racked up 340.5 points compared to 277 for second-place Beaver.
In the B Regionals, North Sevier dominated as well tallying 336 points, with Enterprise coming in second with 231 points, followed by Richfield with 204.5 and defending 2A state champion South Summit with 194.5.
North Sevier finished with six champions and qualified 21 wrestlers into the state tournament.
Millard, which saw its five-year state championship streak come to an end last year, will be favored to get back on the podium at Utah Valley University next Saturday night.
Defending state champions Kyle Robison (106 pounds) and Brenden Turner (112) were among Millard's eight first-place finishers on Saturday in the A Regionals. Other Eagles wrestlers to earn top seeds for state were Nick Sorensen (113), Chase Kelly (120), Keith Kesller (152), Gordon Whitaker (160), Jordan Anderson (170) and Don E Fullmer (182).
The other A Regionals first-place finishers were Grand's Jacob Francis (132), North Summit's Dixon Richins (138), North Summit's Dominic Shulte (145), South Sevier's Joey Leavitt (195), Manti's Landon Carter (22) and Grand's Edgar Gomez (285).
North Sevier advanced nine wrestlers to the championship matches of the B Regionals, finishing with a 6-3 record. Those six champions were Bryce Jackman (120), Brenden Sorensen (132), Cory Johnson (138), Dakota Sorensen (182), Colin Lyman (195) and Jesse Currant (220).
Other B Regionals first-place finishers were Gunnison's Skyler Bogh (106), Richfield's Devin Morrison (113), South Summit's McKay DeGering (126), South Summit's Jeff McCormick (145), Enterprise's Antonio Alvarez (152), South Summit's Connor Crandall (160), Emery's Chet Funk (170) and Richfield's Kyle Thomas (285).
Here's a rundown of all the 2A wrestlers who qualified for the state tournament.
2A (A) Regionals
At Sevier Valley Center
1. Millard 340.5; 2. Beaver 277; 3. Manti 224; 4. South Sevier 197.5; 5. Grand 157; 6. North Summit 104.5; 7. Parowan 75; 8. ALA 67.
106 — 1. Kyle Robison, Millard; 2. Tim White, Millard; 3. Damon Quintana, Beaver; 4. Jorge Minchey, Beaver; 5. James Olson, Manti; 6. Jaden Peterson, South Sevier; 7. Tyson Roberts, Manti; 8. Mason Mecham, South Sevier.
113 — 1. Nick Sorensen, Millard; 2. Kameron Fowles, Manti; 3. Colt Evans, Beaver; 4. Caleb Jones, South Sevier; 5. Braidan Coombs, Beaver; 6. Dillon West, Parowan; 7. Dakot Carlson, Millard; 8. Gage Lindquist, Grand.
120 — 1. Chase Kelly, Millard; 2. Garrett Charlson, Millard; 3. Tyrell Myers, Beaver; 4. Dexter Sheets, Grand; 5. Weston Larson, Manti; 6. Tyson McDougall, Grand; 7. Ammon Cornelious, South Sevier.
126 — 1. Brenden Turner, Millard; 2. Keaton Green, Beaver; 3. Logan Johnson, Millard; 4. Braiden Bradshaw, Beaver; 5. Dylan McGuire, Manti; 6. Joseph St. Peter, ALA; 7. Trevor Tobler, South Sevier; 8. Nathan Hatton, Parownan.
132 — 1. Jacob Francis, Grand; 2. Rudy Alcala, Millard; 3. Nathan Gurr, Parowan; 4. Skyler Shotwell, Beaver; 5. McCrae Thatcher, Millard; 6. Devin Bishoff, South Sevier; 7. Jeremy Baker, ALA; 8. Spencer Heywood, Manti.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24