SOUTHAVEN, Miss. — It was an emotional night for soul singer Bobby Brown as he performed hours after learning that his ex-wife Whitney Houston had died in Beverly Hills.
Brown took to a stage in Southhaven, Miss., near Memphis, on Saturday night and only made brief remarks about Houston's death at 48.
Before thousands of fans, Brown declared: "... I would like to say, 'I love you, Whitney.' The hardest thing for me to do is to come on this stage."
Later in the concert Bobby Brown appeared emotionally overcome as his group — New Edition — performed a ballad. When the song began, he joined in but his voice cracked and he walked off stage. The concert ended soon afterward.
Houston and Brown had a tumultuous 15-year marriage that ended in 2007.
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- Steven Powell ordered to serve more jail time...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12