Dick Harmon: Charles Abouo's shooting makes BYU's 3-point tally look a little better
Not to pick on the freshman, but it is amazing to see him tip-toe through this seven-game shooting slump from 3-point land. It's a classic case of a guy hitting the wall in that aspect of his game.
Carlino's eligibility kicked in Dec. 17 at home against then No. 4 ranked Baylor and he went 4 for 8 from beyond the arc. He backed that up with games in which he went 2 for 5, 3 of 5 and 3 for 4 from distance.
From his Baylor game until Carlino went 1 for 7 against Loyola Marymount, a damaging home loss, he had made an impressive 25 of 53 from beyond the arc for .471 percent. That kind of accuracy would make him one of the top 36 three-point shooters in the country and would lead the WCC ahead of No. 1 Johnny Dee of San Diego (.433) and Mountain West leader Chase Stanback of UNLV (.449).
But in his last seven games, Carlino has made 4 of 34 threes for 11 percent.
It's amazing BYU has gone 5-2 since the outside shooting slump began on Jan. 19 in that home loss to the Lions.
Abouo's Saturday breakout helps. So did the work of Winder, who made 3 of 7 long shots for 10 points against the Waves.
But it isn't enough in a rematch at Gonzaga, a team that's not going to get run over by 38.
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit smiles...
- Tournament central: 5A boys quarterfinals...
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for Wasatch...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in pivotal...
- Dick Harmon: WCC tournament a chance for BYU...
- High school boys basketball: American Fork...
- UteLinks: Why Oklahoma quarterback Kendal...
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC tournament
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 72
- Jimmer Fredette makes debut with... 68
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 54
- UteLinks: A look at Utah's RPI breakdown 52
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 43
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 43
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 38
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 27