Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU blew out Pepperdine 86-48 with a great overall defensive effort and some hot shooting from the perimeter. Grades are in for every position group and for the team's overall effort.
Brandon Davies had one of his quieter efforts with Pepperdine focused on making BYU beat them from the outside. He put together a 13 point, seven rebound effort while sitting for much of the second half.
Noah Hartsock's night went a lot like Davies' — finishing with just nine points and five rebounds in 23 minutes of play. He did have three blocked shots with Davies adding a couple more.
Nate Austin had a very good effort off the bench, scoring four points and grabbing eight rebounds. Grade: B
Charles Abouo, who has been struggling, was the best player on the court against the Waves. He found his shot and finished with 23 points on 7-11 shooting with 5-8 shooting from 3-point range. He also pulled down 12 rebounds in what may have been his best all-around effort of the year.
Anson Winder got off to a very quick start hitting on his first two 3-point attempts before collecting a second early foul which forced him to the bench. He finished with 10 points and again provided a very good defensive effort.
Damarcus Harrison got some good minutes with Brock Zylstra sitting out due to injury. He finished with six points on 2-10 shooting in his 20 minutes of play. Grade: A-
Matt Carlino was about the only Cougar struggling with his shot early. He did find some offense during the second half, finishing with 10 points, six assists and three steals, but was 1-7 from the arc. His best work came when he took the ball to the basket.
Craig Cusick had his usual quiet and efficient effort, finishing with three points and four assists in 25 minutes of play.
Nick Martineau saw some late work and scored five points. Grade: B
It's very hard to nitpick anyone's effort when a team wins 86-48 and we certainly won't be doing that here. BYU found its shot from the outside and played very good team defense in a complete blowout. Grade: A
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 52
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21