"It’s a real fine line when you're teaching health. You don't want to cross the line what you can and cannot say," he said.
Burnside said he receives occasional telephone calls from parents regarding the district's abstinence-based curriculum.
"Some say 'Just don’t talk about it and it will go away.' Others say 'Why don’t you tell kids more so they're informed and they have the information they need?'"
Steve Asay, a father of a West High School student and who has served on school community councils in the Salt Lake School District for nearly 20 years, said the state's sex education curriculum hasn't been a front-burner issue in recent years.
As parents, he and his wife have had four children take part in West High's health class.
"We signed off on it because we have no problem with the way it's been taught," Asay said. "We've had three other kids who've gone through the class, and we felt comfortable with it."
Senate Minority Leader Ross Romero, D-Salt Lake, said he was "a little disappointed that we're having to rehash sex education, which has been working pretty well in the schools and still gives parents the ability to opt out of that if they so choose."
Wright said he wants to address concerns about local control of schools, but he is adamant about better controls over school curriculum.
"I'll have some other eyes look at it to see if we can have some consensus on what language actually means."
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23