"ADVENTURER'S WANTED: Albrek's Tomb," by M. L. Forman, Shadow Mountain, $19.99, 491 pages (f)
"Albrek's Tomb" is the third book in the Adventurer's Wanted series by M. L. Forman, following "Slathbog's Gold" and "The Horn of Moran." The series is reminscent of well-known fantasy collections such as "Eragon" and "Lord of the Rings," but with a writing style and vocabulary that is simpler to understand. Younger audiences looking for an easy read will find the Adventurer's Wanted series provides that ease while still supplying an intriguing, fast-paced and adventuresome read.
Book three features the adventurers in search of the dwarf Albrek's magical Ring of Searching. Albrek has been missing for over 2,000 years and now the adventurers are searching for his ring, with the livelihood of the entire dwarf realm in their hands.
Alexandar Taylor, now a wizard, is invited to take the place of his teacher, Whalen Vankin, on this new adventure. Alex is both excited and nervous about the journey, but he agrees to go in Whalen's place. He accompanies the dwarf Thrang and the elf Arcon to discover what happened to Albrek.
Like any good fantasy novel, there are many challenges and obstacles to overcome as they complete the journey. The group comes across an ancient paladin who believes that a great evil is destroying all known lands and isn't afraid to confront the adventurers. Alex and his friends use their knowledge of spells, their experiences from past adventures and their reliance on one another to complete their quest.
Parents and educators would be pleased to discover several moral and thought-provoking messages brought up by Forman in "Albrek's Tomb." While traveling to his new home, Alex is told, "You are what you do." Readers of all ages would be wise to remember these words, a reminder that their actions are noticed by others and these actions speak louder than words.
IF YOU GO ...
What: M.L. Forman book signing
When: Saturday, Feb. 18, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, 754 N. Main, Layton
When: Saturday, Feb. 18, 1:30-3 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, 135 N. 545 West, West Bountiful
When: Saturday, Feb. 25, 11 a.m.
Where: Deseret Book — Fort Union, 1110 Fort Union Blvd., Midvale
When: Saturday, Feb. 25, 1:30 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book — University Village, 1076 S. 750 East, Orem
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- The Clean Cut: 'Dancing grandpa' throws down...
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life changing...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Float party gives thousands a sneak peek of...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip... 3
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life... 1
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt... 1