Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Three people were hospitalized Friday after a propane gas leak sparked an explosion on Old Bingham Highway.
The incident took place around 10 a.m. near 6000 West and Old Bingham Highway, according to South Jordan Fire Capt. Nathan Morreale. A group of men who had been privately contracted by the Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District were inside a vault painting the pipeline.
Morreale said the men were using a heater that was attached to a propane tank in the vault. It was unclear whether the heater was meant to dry the paint or keep the area warm.
"There was a propane tank with a hose on it and the hose leaked," South Jordan city spokeswoman Kelly Pfost said. "We're not sure what sparked the explosion, but we do know it was related to the propane leak."
Morreale said one man suffered burns to his hands and face and was transported to Intermountain Medical Center in a medical helicopter. He was classified in critical condition.
A second man had cuts and abrasions on his hands and face. His injuries were not as severe, but he was transported to IMC as well. A third man suffered minor injuries and was treated and released at the scene.
The incident is being investigated by the South Jordan Fire Department and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 17
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10