Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Three people were hospitalized Friday after a propane gas leak sparked an explosion on Old Bingham Highway.
The incident took place around 10 a.m. near 6000 West and Old Bingham Highway, according to South Jordan Fire Capt. Nathan Morreale. A group of men who had been privately contracted by the Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District were inside a vault painting the pipeline.
Morreale said the men were using a heater that was attached to a propane tank in the vault. It was unclear whether the heater was meant to dry the paint or keep the area warm.
"There was a propane tank with a hose on it and the hose leaked," South Jordan city spokeswoman Kelly Pfost said. "We're not sure what sparked the explosion, but we do know it was related to the propane leak."
Morreale said one man suffered burns to his hands and face and was transported to Intermountain Medical Center in a medical helicopter. He was classified in critical condition.
A second man had cuts and abrasions on his hands and face. His injuries were not as severe, but he was transported to IMC as well. A third man suffered minor injuries and was treated and released at the scene.
The incident is being investigated by the South Jordan Fire Department and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11