Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Three people were hospitalized Friday after a propane gas leak sparked an explosion on Old Bingham Highway.
The incident took place around 10 a.m. near 6000 West and Old Bingham Highway, according to South Jordan Fire Capt. Nathan Morreale. A group of men who had been privately contracted by the Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District were inside a vault painting the pipeline.
Morreale said the men were using a heater that was attached to a propane tank in the vault. It was unclear whether the heater was meant to dry the paint or keep the area warm.
"There was a propane tank with a hose on it and the hose leaked," South Jordan city spokeswoman Kelly Pfost said. "We're not sure what sparked the explosion, but we do know it was related to the propane leak."
Morreale said one man suffered burns to his hands and face and was transported to Intermountain Medical Center in a medical helicopter. He was classified in critical condition.
A second man had cuts and abrasions on his hands and face. His injuries were not as severe, but he was transported to IMC as well. A third man suffered minor injuries and was treated and released at the scene.
The incident is being investigated by the South Jordan Fire Department and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13