Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah House voted to encourage support of a foundation that aids the families of fallen law enforcement officers and firefighters Thursday.
The House unanimously passed SCR1, which encourages support of the 1033 Foundation, which provides immediate financial support to the families of Utah officers killed in the line of duty and to help their children to finance post-secondary education.
The foundation was founded by Tore and Mona Steen of Park City and is supported by a number of state law enforcement organizations, law firms and Zions Bank. It provides, within 24 hours of an officer's or firefighter's death, $25,000 to his or her family for expenses.
Rep. Richard Greenwood, R-Roy, who served as the superintendent of the UHP from 1990 to 2000, told legislators that four times during his term he had the difficult experience directing officers to notify a spouse that the officer would not be returning home.
"This is a very small token of appreciation for a very desperate situation," Greenwood said.
The foundation's name refers to a police emergency radio code.
"When you hear that code, chills go up your back," noted Rep. Lee Perry, R-Perry, a UHP lieutenant. "That means an officer needs assistance, and he needs it now."
The resolution now goes to the governor for his signature.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- City officals say North Salt Lake not liable...
- Police search for new public enemy No. 1:...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 18