Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah House voted to encourage support of a foundation that aids the families of fallen law enforcement officers and firefighters Thursday.
The House unanimously passed SCR1, which encourages support of the 1033 Foundation, which provides immediate financial support to the families of Utah officers killed in the line of duty and to help their children to finance post-secondary education.
The foundation was founded by Tore and Mona Steen of Park City and is supported by a number of state law enforcement organizations, law firms and Zions Bank. It provides, within 24 hours of an officer's or firefighter's death, $25,000 to his or her family for expenses.
Rep. Richard Greenwood, R-Roy, who served as the superintendent of the UHP from 1990 to 2000, told legislators that four times during his term he had the difficult experience directing officers to notify a spouse that the officer would not be returning home.
"This is a very small token of appreciation for a very desperate situation," Greenwood said.
The foundation's name refers to a police emergency radio code.
"When you hear that code, chills go up your back," noted Rep. Lee Perry, R-Perry, a UHP lieutenant. "That means an officer needs assistance, and he needs it now."
The resolution now goes to the governor for his signature.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail without a...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 13
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12