Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah House voted to encourage support of a foundation that aids the families of fallen law enforcement officers and firefighters Thursday.
The House unanimously passed SCR1, which encourages support of the 1033 Foundation, which provides immediate financial support to the families of Utah officers killed in the line of duty and to help their children to finance post-secondary education.
The foundation was founded by Tore and Mona Steen of Park City and is supported by a number of state law enforcement organizations, law firms and Zions Bank. It provides, within 24 hours of an officer's or firefighter's death, $25,000 to his or her family for expenses.
Rep. Richard Greenwood, R-Roy, who served as the superintendent of the UHP from 1990 to 2000, told legislators that four times during his term he had the difficult experience directing officers to notify a spouse that the officer would not be returning home.
"This is a very small token of appreciation for a very desperate situation," Greenwood said.
The foundation's name refers to a police emergency radio code.
"When you hear that code, chills go up your back," noted Rep. Lee Perry, R-Perry, a UHP lieutenant. "That means an officer needs assistance, and he needs it now."
The resolution now goes to the governor for his signature.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13