Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah House voted to encourage support of a foundation that aids the families of fallen law enforcement officers and firefighters Thursday.
The House unanimously passed SCR1, which encourages support of the 1033 Foundation, which provides immediate financial support to the families of Utah officers killed in the line of duty and to help their children to finance post-secondary education.
The foundation was founded by Tore and Mona Steen of Park City and is supported by a number of state law enforcement organizations, law firms and Zions Bank. It provides, within 24 hours of an officer's or firefighter's death, $25,000 to his or her family for expenses.
Rep. Richard Greenwood, R-Roy, who served as the superintendent of the UHP from 1990 to 2000, told legislators that four times during his term he had the difficult experience directing officers to notify a spouse that the officer would not be returning home.
"This is a very small token of appreciation for a very desperate situation," Greenwood said.
The foundation's name refers to a police emergency radio code.
"When you hear that code, chills go up your back," noted Rep. Lee Perry, R-Perry, a UHP lieutenant. "That means an officer needs assistance, and he needs it now."
The resolution now goes to the governor for his signature.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6