Powell children suffered 'chop injury' before dying of carbon monoxide poisoning
Denise Cox said she had watched how the boys had gone from at first being reserved around their grandparents because of what they had been told by their father, to opening up and greeting everyone with hugs.
The bitter feud between Powell and his in-laws has been ongoing for nearly two years and has split Powell's family. Some believe Powell was responsible for Susan's disappearance. He has long been called a person of interest in the case by West Valley police.
When asked Sunday whether she feared the answer of what happened to her sister died with her brother-in-law, Denise Cox admitted she was "totally terrified of it."
Her belief is that Steven Powell, Josh's father, has some information about what happened to Susan. Her hope is that he'll share that information now that his son and the grandsons are gone.
"I'm hoping he tells us where she's at," Cox said. "I think he's our last hope."
Steven Powell remained in the Pierce County Jail Sunday on voyeurism and child pornography charges. He reportedly was placed on a suicide watch.
Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff issued a statement calling Josh Powell a coward and expressing sympathy for the Cox family.
"I have witnessed a lot of evil in my 12 years as attorney general, but Josh Powell murdering his two little boys is the most fiendish act yet," Shurtleff said. "Josh Powell's malevolence is a reminder that our legal/criminal system can sometimes be inadequate. Hope lies in family, faith and community. These senseless killings strengthen my resolve to do more to protect all, and especially our vulnerable little ones."
Utah Gov. Gary Herbert also expressed condolences in a statement from him and his wife.
“To have two innocent children taken in such a heart-breaking and horrible manner is a tragedy of the greatest proportions. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who are suffering as a result of this great loss.”
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood claims
- Ann Romney on likability, Hillary Clinton, MS...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 35
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20