LOGAN — Utah State’s men’s tennis team earned its first win of the season Saturday afternoon when it took down Portland State 6-1 at the Logan Sports Academy and Racquet Club, snapping a four-match losing skid to open the season.
The Aggies opened competition with another sweep of doubles play. Junior Sven Poslusny and freshman Marcus Fritz defeated Portland’s Roman Margoulis and Mitch Somach, (8-3). Junior Lenny Whiting and his brother, sophomore Andrew Whiting followed, beating Abhinav Mishura and Alec Marx, (8-3). Senior Nate Ballam and freshman Matt Sweet wrapped up doubles with a win over Nick Fracchia and Zach Lubek, (8-6).
Moving to singles play, the Aggies almost swept the Vikings, losing just one match. Poslusny started things off with a win over Margoulis, (6-3, 6-4) while Fritz defeated Mishura, (6-0, 6-3). Freshman Curran Wearmouth fought hard for the second match in a row, but fell to Somach, (7-6, 7-5). Lenny Whiting took down Marx, (6-4, 7-5) while Ballam defeated Fracchia, (6-2, 6-4). Sophomore Brandon Nielsen beat Lubek, (6-2, 6-3) to conclude the match.
USU improved to 1-4 on the year while PSU fell to 0-3. Saturday was the Aggies’ third match against a Big Sky Conference team in their five matches this season.
Utah State has a week-long break before continuing its homestand next Saturday, Feb. 11 when the Aggies host Colorado Mesa University at 9 a.m.
Fans can follow Utah State athletics, including both USU tennis teams, at http://twitter.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at Utah State University Athletics. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program at twitter.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at Utah State University Athletics.
Utah State 6, Portland State 1
Singles Competition 1. Sven Poslusny (USU) def. Roman Margoulis (PSU) 6-3, 6-4 2. Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Abhinav Mishura (PSU) 6-0,6-3 3. Mitch Somach (PSU) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 7-6, 7-5 4. Lenny Whiting (USU) def. Alec Marx (PSU) 6-4, 7-5 5. Nate Ballam (USU) def. Nick Fracchia (PSU) 6-2, 6-4 6. Brandon Nielsen (USU) def. Zach Lubek (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
Doubles Competition 1. Sven Poslusny/Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Roman Margoulis/Mitch Somach (PSU) 8-3 2. Lenny Whiting/Andrew Whiting (USU) def. Abhinav Mishura/Alec Marx (PSU) 8-3 3. Nate Ballam/Matt Sweet (USU) def. Nick Fracchia/Zach Lubek (PSU) 8-6
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 95
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 63
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8