PORTLAND, Ore. — BYU outscored Portland from the free-throw line, 38-10, and defeated the Pilots Saturday night at the Chiles Center, 79-60.
Brandon Davies scored a game-high 18 to go along with 12 rebounds and six steals, while Noah Hartsock finished with 12 — all from the free throw line — and Matt Carlino chipped in 11.
BYU improved to 20-6 overall and 8-3 in the West Coast Conference, while Portland fell to 6-18 and 3-8.
The Cougars' outside shooting woes continued, as they made just 3-of-16 from 3-point territory.
BYU led by five, 32-27, at halftime, but Kevin Bailey scored eight straight Pilot points to open the second half to give Portland a 35-34 advantage. The Pilots went up by as many as four, 39-35.
That's when the Cougars started pounding the ball inside to Davies and Hartsock with good results.
BYU pushed its lead to 10 to cap a 22-8 run, and then held on for the win.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13