PORTLAND, Ore. — BYU outscored Portland from the free-throw line, 38-10, and defeated the Pilots Saturday night at the Chiles Center, 79-60.
Brandon Davies scored a game-high 18 to go along with 12 rebounds and six steals, while Noah Hartsock finished with 12 — all from the free throw line — and Matt Carlino chipped in 11.
BYU improved to 20-6 overall and 8-3 in the West Coast Conference, while Portland fell to 6-18 and 3-8.
The Cougars' outside shooting woes continued, as they made just 3-of-16 from 3-point territory.
BYU led by five, 32-27, at halftime, but Kevin Bailey scored eight straight Pilot points to open the second half to give Portland a 35-34 advantage. The Pilots went up by as many as four, 39-35.
That's when the Cougars started pounding the ball inside to Davies and Hartsock with good results.
BYU pushed its lead to 10 to cap a 22-8 run, and then held on for the win.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 22