Think candy and pink cupcakes! Think homemade cards! It’s Valentine’s Day!
“SNOWY VALENTINE,” by David Petersen, Harper, $14.99, 32 pages (ages 3-8)
Jasper, a frustrated rabbit, tries to come up with the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for his wife. His dilemma is heightened by interviewing his friends whose solutions to their own gift-giving are varied: Teagan Fox is preparing a rabbit stew (Jasper is alarmed at that) and Miriam Frog’s delicious chocolate-covered flies will certainly be a welcome gift for a loved one.
With soft delicate artwork and simple text, David Peterson’s conclusion is a pleasing one; Jasper’s gift to his wife is the greatest, “his love for her.”
Jackson, a shy and loveable bunny is suddenly “aware” of his classmate, Cami, and wants his feelings known. But poor Jackson is outdone by a show-off whose loud mouth and antics draw attention from everyone. Jackson’s friend (who is narrator of this affair) encourages him, “If you’re going to like a girl, Jackson, you have to at least tell her.”
He does. Readers will cheer Jackson on as he puts aside his shyness and it pays off.
“HEDGEHUG: A Sharp Lesson in Love,” by Benn Sutton, illustrated by Dan Pinto, HarperCollins, $9.99, 40 pages (up to age 7)
Hedgehug’s plans for Valentine’s Day are to make homemade cards and then give everyone a hug. In the case of Hedgehug’s gift, however, loves hurts and the animals protest. No one wants to be pierced from a hug.
Hedgehug finds a way to give love hugs without the quills. The cartoon-like drawings will have young readers giggling through his plight.
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- 'Tomorrowland': 3 points for parents
- John Nash, the mathematician who inspired 'A...
- Owner of new Howa Gallery in Bountiful says...
- Separating earthquake fact from fiction in...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 15
- David Letterman leaves late night with... 12
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 11
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage... 3
- David Letterman to sign off as... 2
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Goodbye,... 1
- Is Hollywood pushing too many superhero... 1