Think candy and pink cupcakes! Think homemade cards! It’s Valentine’s Day!
“SNOWY VALENTINE,” by David Petersen, Harper, $14.99, 32 pages (ages 3-8)
Jasper, a frustrated rabbit, tries to come up with the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for his wife. His dilemma is heightened by interviewing his friends whose solutions to their own gift-giving are varied: Teagan Fox is preparing a rabbit stew (Jasper is alarmed at that) and Miriam Frog’s delicious chocolate-covered flies will certainly be a welcome gift for a loved one.
With soft delicate artwork and simple text, David Peterson’s conclusion is a pleasing one; Jasper’s gift to his wife is the greatest, “his love for her.”
Jackson, a shy and loveable bunny is suddenly “aware” of his classmate, Cami, and wants his feelings known. But poor Jackson is outdone by a show-off whose loud mouth and antics draw attention from everyone. Jackson’s friend (who is narrator of this affair) encourages him, “If you’re going to like a girl, Jackson, you have to at least tell her.”
He does. Readers will cheer Jackson on as he puts aside his shyness and it pays off.
“HEDGEHUG: A Sharp Lesson in Love,” by Benn Sutton, illustrated by Dan Pinto, HarperCollins, $9.99, 40 pages (up to age 7)
Hedgehug’s plans for Valentine’s Day are to make homemade cards and then give everyone a hug. In the case of Hedgehug’s gift, however, loves hurts and the animals protest. No one wants to be pierced from a hug.
Hedgehug finds a way to give love hugs without the quills. The cartoon-like drawings will have young readers giggling through his plight.
- National Spelling Bee co-champions include...
- The Clean Cut: 10-year-old girl performs on...
- Movie review: Beckinsale showcases classic...
- Chris Hicks: Gear up for Memorial Day by...
- 'Odysseo' extends stay in Utah to June 13
- A black-and-white, sometimes Technicolor...
- Why would anyone want to keep up with the...
- Video game review: 'Star Fox Zero' is a fun...
- Newlywed viral Star Wars couple: 'The... 3
- Movie review: Overstuffed 'X-Men:... 2
- Chris Hicks: Gear up for Memorial Day... 1
- National Spelling Bee co-champions... 0
- The Clean Cut: 10-year-old girl... 0
- Movie review: Beckinsale showcases... 0
- 'Odysseo' extends stay in Utah to June 13 0
- A black-and-white, sometimes... 0