"HOW BEAUTIFUL: A Pictorial History of the Logan LDS Temple," by Darrin Smith, Herald Journal, $30, 137 pages (nf)
"How Beautiful: A Pictorial History of the Logan LDS Temple," a project of author Darrin Smith in collaboration with the Herald Journal, was published in November.
The book is actually the second work Smith has completed with The Herald Journal, the first of which was "Logan Reflections," a then-and-now pictorial.
"How Beautiful" contains more 350 images and illustrations thanks to Utah State University and Brigham Young University's special collections departments, along with LDS Church Archives, special contributions by Cache Valley residents — and much of the material came from Smith's personal collection.
The author said he hopes the book will give at least a glimpse of "the blood, sweat and tears and sacrifice that the local pioneers made."
"I tried to make this book as real to people as possible," he said.
The book makes things personal with everything from old newspaper articles to personal accounts of the temple construction and subsequent renovations.
"How Beautiful" details much of the history of the region as well, telling the stories of prominent figures in the building of the temple and even providing background on Temple Fork Saw Mill and the carving out of a road through Logan Canyon.
Dispersed throughout are visual interludes of a variety of beautiful pictures of the temple, capturing it in every stage of its history and just about every light, angle and weather — from lightning backgrounds to hazy days and sunsets.
"How Beautiful" is available at The Book Table, Hastings, the Herald Journal offices and the Cache Valley Visitor's Bureau, all in Logan, or by contacting the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Angel Moroni placed atop Indianapolis temple
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16