SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Opera Artistic Director Christopher McBeth announced Utah Opera’s complete 2012-2013 season on Monday. The season will feature four varied operas that McBeth promised will be filled with passion, magic and laughter.
The season will open in October with Verdi’s “Il Trovatore” (The Troubador), the gypsy tale of forbidden love that became a smash-hit opera at its premiere in 1853. The Utah Opera premier of Daniel CatÁn’s “Florencia en el Amazonas” (Florencia in the Amazon), a story exploring the transformative power of love, will come next in January of 2013. "Florencia" will continue Utah Opera’s American Opera Initiative. In March of 2013, Utah Opera will perform Mozart’s beloved fantasy, “The Magic Flute,” and Rossini’s outrageous comedy, “The Barber of Seville,” will close the season in May of 2013.
Utah Opera will continue in the 2012-2013 season to offer in-depth, interactive online learning materials, created by area scholars and available to the public free of charge. Details about each course will become available at least two weeks before each opera opens, and can be accessed by clicking the “Learn More” button on each production’s individual landing page on www.utahopera.org.
Utah Opera staff will also continue the traditions of Opera Prelude presentations before the show and post performance Q-and-A sessions with McBeth.
Performances will be broadcast on Classical 89.1 FM. For the broadcast schedule, visit http://www.utahopera.org/connect/classical-89-broadcasts.
Season tickets for the 2012-2013 Utah Opera season went on sale Tuesday and can be purchased online or by calling 801-533-6683. Seating is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Current Utah Opera subscribers will receive renewal forms via mail in early February.
Cast and artistic staff information for each opera will be announced at a later date.
For tickets and further information about Utah Opera's 2012-2013 season, visit www.utahopera.org.
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- BYU Vocal Point, One Voice Children's Choir...
- Zuckerberg and wife announce they are giving...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- In a distracted world, coloring books offer...
- 'Waitress' makes history as the first time a...
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host holiday...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 3
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Bono, Clooney, Kardashian part of... 1
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new... 1
- Prehistoric lessons: What children can... 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host... 1