"I thought she was gorgeous but, to me, she was the unattainable girl. I would just wave at her when I saw her," he said. "Then we did Oklahoma."
They dated until it hit him on a cruise to Mexico that he needed to ask Brittni to marry him.
"I went back and bought a ring," he said. "It was pretty scary.
"I proposed on the stage of the SCERA Shell in the middle of January outside. It was very snowy and cold. I got a space heater. My brother kidnapped her and with the spotlights on and the pristine snow all around, it was beautiful. I came on as Will Parker and she said yes."
They were married May 10, 2009, in the Salt Lake LDS Temple.
Today, Dave holds down three jobs: He keeps the books for Hale Center, teaches acting classes in Orem and directs youth theater in American Fork. Brittni teaches drama at Mountain Ridge Junior High School in Highland.
They share not only a passion for theater and film but understand the rigors, the heartbreaks and the rewards.
They keep involved in theater and film projects, occasionally even kissing other people on stage. Dave has even directed his wife in a love scene, just one of the stresses that come with their busy, dramatic lives.
"I think just sharing the passion really bonds you. You have somebody who knows the commitment it takes. Dave is right there along with me through auditions and everything else," Brittni said. "It's really nice. Auditions are so hard, but to have somebody who really gets it. That's nice."
Paul Cartwright says he enjoys theater but he really wants a family and the role of a father more than fame.
"For now, we're just having fun. My biggest priority is family," he said.
Dave Smith said he believes discovering his talent for theater led him purposefully to his wife. "Before that, I was drifting," he said.
"David and I are really happy with our lifestyle. We don't perform for the money or the recognition. We perform because we love to tell a story," Brittni added.
"It's not always easy, but it's the lifestyle we're used to."
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Emma Watson to star in live-action 'Beauty...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Rules and advice from 'Downton Abbey: Rules...
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in Miami
- Sundance doc pulls back curtain on Scientology
- Courtney Love, Frances Bean appear together...
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in... 4
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with... 3
- Book review: Young widow's memoir... 2
- 'Building audiences': Sundance Film... 1
- Star-Lord vs. Captain America:... 1
- Doug's Take: 'American Sniper' captures... 1
- Oscar snubs? Hey, Academy Awards are... 1
- Robert Redford: Sundance Film Festival... 1