Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
WASHINGTON — It's another chapter in the never-ending Mormon moment.
This time it is Politico grabbing quotes and anecdotes from Mormons in Washington, D.C.
The base question is: Are the Mormons in D.C. happy about Mitt Romney and all the attention The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is getting?
Politico mixes in a few statistics from the huge "Mormons in America" Pew Research Center survey and adds the obligatory Mormon-moment litany of proof that there really is a moment:
- Mitt Romney's campaign
- The Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon"
- HBO TV series "Big Love" (about non-Mormons, but close enough)
- "Twilight" books by Stephenie Meyer
- Reality TV Mormons from "American Idol" to "So You Think You Can Dance"
Politico's take on it gives some insight into Mormons in the city where Mitt Romney hopes to put down roots come January.
Nate Williams told Politico if you want a Mormon drawing attention, Romney is a "good representation of the church."
Valerie Barker, an Asian-American and stay-at-home mom, speculated in the article that a Mormon president might inject integrity and honesty into Washington.
But with the added attention, D.C. Mormons have noticed "misperceptions" and "misconceptions," the article says.
Politico even touches on the perennial Mormon dilemma: The D.C. Mormons say they want mainstream acceptance, but at the same time they want to be seen as different from everybody else.
Eric Cragun, who works for a health care consulting firm, told Politico the real question many Mormons have is: "Am I ready for a Mormon president?"
And should that happen, it just might bring so much attention to Mormons it could stretch the "Mormon moment" into the longest moment in moment history.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- Maddy's Mighty Minions: LDS 8-year-old with...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir members react to...
- Do contraceptive rules make religious groups...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Defending the Faith: Who were the first...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 39
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 29
- Evangelicals and Muslims together... 25
- The spiritual side effects of viewing... 25
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 14
- Sunrise service: Utahns should emulate... 5
- ... 5