Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
WASHINGTON — It's another chapter in the never-ending Mormon moment.
This time it is Politico grabbing quotes and anecdotes from Mormons in Washington, D.C.
The base question is: Are the Mormons in D.C. happy about Mitt Romney and all the attention The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is getting?
Politico mixes in a few statistics from the huge "Mormons in America" Pew Research Center survey and adds the obligatory Mormon-moment litany of proof that there really is a moment:
- Mitt Romney's campaign
- The Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon"
- HBO TV series "Big Love" (about non-Mormons, but close enough)
- "Twilight" books by Stephenie Meyer
- Reality TV Mormons from "American Idol" to "So You Think You Can Dance"
Politico's take on it gives some insight into Mormons in the city where Mitt Romney hopes to put down roots come January.
Nate Williams told Politico if you want a Mormon drawing attention, Romney is a "good representation of the church."
Valerie Barker, an Asian-American and stay-at-home mom, speculated in the article that a Mormon president might inject integrity and honesty into Washington.
But with the added attention, D.C. Mormons have noticed "misperceptions" and "misconceptions," the article says.
Politico even touches on the perennial Mormon dilemma: The D.C. Mormons say they want mainstream acceptance, but at the same time they want to be seen as different from everybody else.
Eric Cragun, who works for a health care consulting firm, told Politico the real question many Mormons have is: "Am I ready for a Mormon president?"
And should that happen, it just might bring so much attention to Mormons it could stretch the "Mormon moment" into the longest moment in moment history.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Elizabeth Smart encourages BYU audience to...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 95
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- When Satan steals your motherhood 30
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 20