Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
WASHINGTON — It's another chapter in the never-ending Mormon moment.
This time it is Politico grabbing quotes and anecdotes from Mormons in Washington, D.C.
The base question is: Are the Mormons in D.C. happy about Mitt Romney and all the attention The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is getting?
Politico mixes in a few statistics from the huge "Mormons in America" Pew Research Center survey and adds the obligatory Mormon-moment litany of proof that there really is a moment:
- Mitt Romney's campaign
- The Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon"
- HBO TV series "Big Love" (about non-Mormons, but close enough)
- "Twilight" books by Stephenie Meyer
- Reality TV Mormons from "American Idol" to "So You Think You Can Dance"
Politico's take on it gives some insight into Mormons in the city where Mitt Romney hopes to put down roots come January.
Nate Williams told Politico if you want a Mormon drawing attention, Romney is a "good representation of the church."
Valerie Barker, an Asian-American and stay-at-home mom, speculated in the article that a Mormon president might inject integrity and honesty into Washington.
But with the added attention, D.C. Mormons have noticed "misperceptions" and "misconceptions," the article says.
Politico even touches on the perennial Mormon dilemma: The D.C. Mormons say they want mainstream acceptance, but at the same time they want to be seen as different from everybody else.
Eric Cragun, who works for a health care consulting firm, told Politico the real question many Mormons have is: "Am I ready for a Mormon president?"
And should that happen, it just might bring so much attention to Mormons it could stretch the "Mormon moment" into the longest moment in moment history.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Dan Jackson calls on family experience to...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 74
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 49
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 29
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 21
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 15