Josh Powell to undergo psychosexual evaluation; 2 boys will remain with grandparents
Meanwhile, Julio Serrano, the guardian ad litem in the case, said he noticed improvement in the two boys since the last time he met with them.
"The children are doing very well in the Cox home," he said. "My recommendation is to remain in that environment."
Powell's attorney, however, spoke about two incidents of one of the boys being hurt and expressed concerns about their safety in the Cox home.
In one case, Branden Powell suffered second-degree burns on his foot after accidentally knocking over a pot of water that had just been boiled for a home reconstruction project. He was also knocked down while playing with other boys and underwent a CAT scan.
Both incidents were investigated and determined to be accidents.
Bassett argued the Coxes should have been more careful. "They (the boys) shouldn't be anywhere near a part of the house that's under construction," he argued.
The Coxes have been fighting for custody of their grandchildren, arguing that they believe their son-in-law is responsible for the disappearance of their daughter. Police consider Josh Powell a person of interest in his wife's disappearance because they say he has been uncooperative in their investigation.
Powell's father, Steven Powell, has pleaded not guilty to 14 charges of voyeurism and one of possession of child pornography. He remains jailed on $200,000 bail. Prosecutors said that for at least a decade, he had been secretly filming women, including Susan Powell, and that he shot footage of two young neighbor girls as they took baths and sat on the toilet.
Josh Powell will continue to have two three-hour supervised visits with his boys each week. Another dependence hearing was scheduled for July 26. The court reaffirmed Wednesday that its ultimate goal is to reunite Powell with his children.
Josh Powell has said he took his boys, then 2 and 4, on a late night camping trip in freezing temperatures the day his wife disappeared from their West Valley City home in December of 2009.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27