Josh Powell to undergo psychosexual evaluation; 2 boys will remain with grandparents
Meanwhile, Julio Serrano, the guardian ad litem in the case, said he noticed improvement in the two boys since the last time he met with them.
"The children are doing very well in the Cox home," he said. "My recommendation is to remain in that environment."
Powell's attorney, however, spoke about two incidents of one of the boys being hurt and expressed concerns about their safety in the Cox home.
In one case, Branden Powell suffered second-degree burns on his foot after accidentally knocking over a pot of water that had just been boiled for a home reconstruction project. He was also knocked down while playing with other boys and underwent a CAT scan.
Both incidents were investigated and determined to be accidents.
Bassett argued the Coxes should have been more careful. "They (the boys) shouldn't be anywhere near a part of the house that's under construction," he argued.
The Coxes have been fighting for custody of their grandchildren, arguing that they believe their son-in-law is responsible for the disappearance of their daughter. Police consider Josh Powell a person of interest in his wife's disappearance because they say he has been uncooperative in their investigation.
Powell's father, Steven Powell, has pleaded not guilty to 14 charges of voyeurism and one of possession of child pornography. He remains jailed on $200,000 bail. Prosecutors said that for at least a decade, he had been secretly filming women, including Susan Powell, and that he shot footage of two young neighbor girls as they took baths and sat on the toilet.
Josh Powell will continue to have two three-hour supervised visits with his boys each week. Another dependence hearing was scheduled for July 26. The court reaffirmed Wednesday that its ultimate goal is to reunite Powell with his children.
Josh Powell has said he took his boys, then 2 and 4, on a late night camping trip in freezing temperatures the day his wife disappeared from their West Valley City home in December of 2009.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14