A recent survey by Accountemps suggests that having a sense of humor is an important part of adapting to a company's culture.
The survey asked more than 1,400 chief financial officers "How important is an employee's sense of humor in him or her fitting into your company's corporate culture?"
Fifty-seven percent of the CFOs surveyed said a sense of humor was somewhat important and 22 percent said it was very important.
"Job candidates should let their personality shine when meeting prospective employers. The interview is no place for a standup comedy routine, but it is the right time to show hiring managers you are approachable and will be easy to work with," says Max Messmer, chairman of Accountemps, in a statement.
Messmer offered tips to help managers have a sense of humor while assisting their employees.
These tips included having casual conversations with employees, sharing funny stories with employees, laughing at jokes and not discussing inappropriate topics.
“Managers with a good sense of humor will be viewed as more approachable by their employees. Levity by those at the top can make the office less stressful and even more fun, which can help improve productivity, morale and retention," Messmer said.
The survey was created by Accountemps and conducted by an independent research firm. The companies surveyed were all located in the U.S. and each had 20 or more employees.
Accountemps provides job search services for accounting, finance and bookkeeping professionals. Accountemps is headquartered in Menlo Park, Calif., and has more than 350 offices across the globe.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas reflects on...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- Nothing else they would rather do: Couple has...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 158
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Nothing else they would rather do:... 13
- David Letterman leaves late night with... 12
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 9
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 6
- Arianne Brown: Pretty girls can too... 5