Jazz rally to pick up exciting 93-89 win over Portland
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz didn't have two starters for the entire game, and they were missing their spark and an offense in the first half.
But they sure brought it when it mattered.
Sparked by a massive fourth-quarter run, the Jazz rallied to take an exciting 93-89 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers tonight at EnergySolutions Arena.
Backup point guard Earl Watson gave the Jazz a boost in the fourth as the Jazz went on a 13-0 run to take an 87-79 lead.
Portland clawed back, though, going on an 8-2 spurt to pull within 89-87. The Blazers then got the ball back with 34 seconds after a Jazz turnover.
Nicolas Batum, however, tripped, twisted his ankle and turned the ball over when Portland had a chance to tie or go ahead.
C.J. Miles and Gordon Hayward each hit key free throws (making up for a couple of misses) to wrap up the win in the final seconds.
Utah ended up shooting 38.1 percent and scored 54 points in the second half.
Paul Millsap led Utah with 19 points and 15 rebounds in a great match-up with fellow All-Star hopeful LaMarcus Aldridge, who topped the Blazers with 25 points.
Miles finished with 15 points, Devin Harris added 13 points, Hayward had 12 after missing his first eight shots and Josh Howard had 11 in his first start for Bell (strained right adductor).
The win snapped 12-9 Portland's three-game winning streak over the 12-7 Jazz.
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to make...
- Ranking the best shooting guards in the NBA...
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets new...
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out for...
- Utah Jazz face decision of pursuing free...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 70
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 70
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 35
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 25
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13