OGDEN — Ogden officer Kasey Burrell, one of six officers shot this month in a marijuana drug raid on Jackson Avenue, was released Sunday from McKay-Dee Hospital after three weeks of medical care.
The Jan. 4 shootout left Ogden officer Jared Francom, 30, dead, and critically wounded Ogden officers Burrell, Shawn Grogan and Michael Rounkles. Also injured were Roy officer Jason VanderWarf and Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson. Burrell was the last of the wounded officers to be released from a hospital.
Burrell and several of the other wounded officers were members of the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force and serving a knock-and-announce warrant at Mathew Davis Stewart's home at 3268 Jackson Ave., when gunshots erupted.
Weber County prosecutors said Stewart opened fire on the officers and then ran from the home, hiding in a shed. As other officers arrived as backup, prosecutors said he fired on them.
Stewart, 37, was hit in the exchange of gunfire and remains hospitalized at Ogden Regional Medical Center.
He has been charged with one count of aggravated murder, seven counts of attempted aggravated murder and one second-degree felony count of production of a controlled substance. The Weber County Attorney's Office has said it will seek the death penalty.
Officers were at Stewart's home evening attempting to gain evidence supporting reports that he had an extensive hydroponic grow operation for marijuana.
In the aftermath of the shooting, several items were removed from the home in support of such an operation, police say, including PVC pipes and heat lamps.
In statement released by Burrell's family, they said they appreciated the love and support shown to them during the ordeal, and asked for privacy.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 28
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17