Ogden officer critically wounded in drug raid shootout released from hospital
OGDEN — Ogden officer Kasey Burrell, one of six officers shot this month in a marijuana drug raid on Jackson Avenue, was released Sunday from McKay-Dee Hospital after three weeks of medical care.
The Jan. 4 shootout left Ogden officer Jared Francom, 30, dead, and critically wounded Ogden officers Burrell, Shawn Grogan and Michael Rounkles. Also injured were Roy officer Jason VanderWarf and Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson. Burrell was the last of the wounded officers to be released from a hospital.
Burrell and several of the other wounded officers were members of the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force and serving a knock-and-announce warrant at Mathew Davis Stewart's home at 3268 Jackson Ave., when gunshots erupted.
Weber County prosecutors said Stewart opened fire on the officers and then ran from the home, hiding in a shed. As other officers arrived as backup, prosecutors said he fired on them.
Stewart, 37, was hit in the exchange of gunfire and remains hospitalized at Ogden Regional Medical Center.
He has been charged with one count of aggravated murder, seven counts of attempted aggravated murder and one second-degree felony count of production of a controlled substance. The Weber County Attorney's Office has said it will seek the death penalty.
Officers were at Stewart's home evening attempting to gain evidence supporting reports that he had an extensive hydroponic grow operation for marijuana.
In the aftermath of the shooting, several items were removed from the home in support of such an operation, police say, including PVC pipes and heat lamps.
In statement released by Burrell's family, they said they appreciated the love and support shown to them during the ordeal, and asked for privacy.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17