Ogden officer critically wounded in drug raid shootout released from hospital
OGDEN — Ogden officer Kasey Burrell, one of six officers shot this month in a marijuana drug raid on Jackson Avenue, was released Sunday from McKay-Dee Hospital after three weeks of medical care.
The Jan. 4 shootout left Ogden officer Jared Francom, 30, dead, and critically wounded Ogden officers Burrell, Shawn Grogan and Michael Rounkles. Also injured were Roy officer Jason VanderWarf and Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson. Burrell was the last of the wounded officers to be released from a hospital.
Burrell and several of the other wounded officers were members of the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force and serving a knock-and-announce warrant at Mathew Davis Stewart's home at 3268 Jackson Ave., when gunshots erupted.
Weber County prosecutors said Stewart opened fire on the officers and then ran from the home, hiding in a shed. As other officers arrived as backup, prosecutors said he fired on them.
Stewart, 37, was hit in the exchange of gunfire and remains hospitalized at Ogden Regional Medical Center.
He has been charged with one count of aggravated murder, seven counts of attempted aggravated murder and one second-degree felony count of production of a controlled substance. The Weber County Attorney's Office has said it will seek the death penalty.
Officers were at Stewart's home evening attempting to gain evidence supporting reports that he had an extensive hydroponic grow operation for marijuana.
In the aftermath of the shooting, several items were removed from the home in support of such an operation, police say, including PVC pipes and heat lamps.
In statement released by Burrell's family, they said they appreciated the love and support shown to them during the ordeal, and asked for privacy.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Elderly man hit, killed after chasing dog...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9