Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — The Cougars got hit in the mouth, losing 80-66 to the Gaels. They did show some fight at the end, but it was far too little, too late. Grades are in for their collective performances on the night.
Brandon Davies was active and aggressive, but went only 6-18 from the field while accounting for six turnovers. Davies has been going to the foul line a lot of late, but went just 2-4 from the stripe. He finished with 14 points.
Both Davies and Hartsock struggled in defending Brad Waldow who finished with 19 points on 8-10 shooting.
Nate Austin provided some good energy off the bench, finishing with four points and three rebounds. Grade: B-
Charles Abouo had an inconsistent effort, finishing with just six points on 2-3 shooting before fouling out. He did provide some good on-ball defense defending Mathew Dellavedova late, but BYU could have used a better and more consistent effort from its starting two-guard.
Brock Zylstra was a complete non-factor throughout the course of the game. He finished with zero points on 0-5 shooting, but did account for three steals in his 27 minutes of play.
Anson Winder provided some much-needed energy off the bench in the first half. He finished the night with eight points on 3-5 shooting and three steals, starting the second half in place of Abouo.
The perimeter defense wasn't good, particularly in the first half when St. Mary's built its lead, hitting some wide-open 3-point attempts. Grade: C-
Matt Carlino again struggled with his shot, but was able to drive to the basket effectively late when BYU made its final run. He finished the night with 15 points on 6-15 shooting and three assists.
Craig Cusick contributed a 3-pointer in his 10 minutes of play.
The point position, like the wings, gets docked for lack of effective perimeter defense in the first half. Grade: C-
St. Mary's is a very good basketball team, but not good enough to where they should maintain a double-digit lead at the Marriott center. The Cougars got hit in the mouth, but deserve credit for not giving up and fighting the Gaels until the final buzzer. Grade: C
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- Doug Robinson: Lindsey's bold moves... 22