Utah Jazz escape Jimmer Fredette, Kings with 96-93 win
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The scene was set for a perfect Jimmertime ending for the Kings.
Down by two with the ball late in the game, Jimmer Fredette ended with the ball in his hands behind the 3-point line.
The crowd gasped, Fredette unleashed a wide-open shot and ... airball.
Not the kind of airtime the former BYU standout — nor his many fans in attendance — hoped for. It turned out fine for the home team, though, as the Utah Jazz escaped with a 96-93 win over the Sacramento Kings.
Fredette ended up scoring 14 points in his Utah NBA debut.
But it was the Jazz's Gordon Hayward and C.J. Miles who stole his thunder and saved the day for the Jazz on offnight for usually reliable Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson.
Hayward led Utah with 21 points and Miles scored 20 points off the bench, playing extended minutes and starting the second half after Raja Bell strained his right adductor.
Millsap was a monster on the boards with 14 boards but only scored six points on 2-for-10 shooting. Jefferson had 12 points but missed 8 of 13 shots.
Tyreke Evans led all scorers with 31 points for the Kings, who also got 14 apiece from Fredette, DeMarcus Cousins and Jason Thompson.
Utah had a 13-point lead until reserve guard Isaiah Thomas, the smallest man on the court, went off for 13 points in the fourth to bring the Kings back.
The win snapped a two-game losing streak for Utah, which improved to 11-7. The Kings dropped their fourth straight, falling to 6-14.
The Jazz host Portland on Monday.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20