SB39, passed Friday by the Utah Senate, would require the approval of the governor and the consent of the Utah Senate for the hiring of both higher education administrators. The hiring of these individuals has been the sole purview of the Regents or the members of the UCAT board.
The bill, sponsored by Sen. Stuart Reid, R-Ogden, also would authorize the governor, in consultation with the State Board of Regents and UCAT board, to terminate the higher education commissioner and UCAT president.
The bill moves to the House for further consideration.
— Marjorie Cortez
Senate passes House, state school board district boundary fixes
Senate President Michael Waddoups said he was a bit taken by surprise when Senate members of the Utah Legislature’s Redistricting Committee broke into applause Friday after the passage of a pair of bills to fix minor errors in the boundaries for the Utah House of Representatives and the Utah State Board of Education on Friday.
“They were thrilled their work is finally done,” Waddoups said.
The House and Senate had to fast-track the passage of the bills, SB125, HB286 and HB287 to correct redistricting boundary errors discovered by county clerks to give counties ample time to prepare ballots. The Senate bill addressed needed corrections in State Senate districts.
The boundaries were passed in a special session of the Legislature last year, as necessitated by the 2010 Census counts.
— Marjorie Cortez
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 126
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 33
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 20
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12