SB39, passed Friday by the Utah Senate, would require the approval of the governor and the consent of the Utah Senate for the hiring of both higher education administrators. The hiring of these individuals has been the sole purview of the Regents or the members of the UCAT board.
The bill, sponsored by Sen. Stuart Reid, R-Ogden, also would authorize the governor, in consultation with the State Board of Regents and UCAT board, to terminate the higher education commissioner and UCAT president.
The bill moves to the House for further consideration.
— Marjorie Cortez
Senate passes House, state school board district boundary fixes
Senate President Michael Waddoups said he was a bit taken by surprise when Senate members of the Utah Legislature’s Redistricting Committee broke into applause Friday after the passage of a pair of bills to fix minor errors in the boundaries for the Utah House of Representatives and the Utah State Board of Education on Friday.
“They were thrilled their work is finally done,” Waddoups said.
The House and Senate had to fast-track the passage of the bills, SB125, HB286 and HB287 to correct redistricting boundary errors discovered by county clerks to give counties ample time to prepare ballots. The Senate bill addressed needed corrections in State Senate districts.
The boundaries were passed in a special session of the Legislature last year, as necessitated by the 2010 Census counts.
— Marjorie Cortez
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- 'We're not going to stop'
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 12