Mention the Heisman Trophy in any group of people and almost all of them will know it is a prestigious annual award presented to an outstanding college football player. But there is another Heisman Awards competition that’s been around for 18 years, honoring the outstanding United States prep athletes: The Annual Wendy’s High School Heisman Awards.
Sarah Bennion, of Medford, Ore., sports standout from St. Mary’s High School, and member of the Medford 8th Ward, Medford Oregon Stake was one of the six girls in the finals this year.
In addition to receiving a trip to New York City, Bennion also earned a $2,000 donation in her name to St. Mary’s High School, a gold medal, a Heisman patch and a $100 gift card from Wendy’s, the competition sponsor.
Bennion, a senior who has been a standout in soccer, cross country and track and field, and who also is the student body president, received her accolade at a televised presentation in New York City recently. Bennion is only the second Oregonian to be named a finalist for the Heisman prep award, which began with 48,000 applicants in the 50 states and District of Columbia. She represented the 13-state West Region.
Bennion has been on track and cross country teams that have won state titles, and she was named the outstanding female track athlete at the 3A/2A/1A state meet last spring. She was a team captain and starter on the Crusaders soccer team, state runners-up in 2010 and made the semi-finals this past fall.
She earned a black belt in tae kwon do, is very involved in school government and community work, where she is a neighborhood coordinator for the Medford Food Project. She is also committed to her activities with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has been a Beehive class president, Mia Maid secretary and Laurel president. She has completed her Personal Progress as a Beehive and is finishing her Honor Bee.
A 4.0 GPA. student, she plans to attend Brigham Young University.
Richard Robertson is on the Medford Oregon Stake Public Affairs Council.
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Understanding DNA testing in family history
- Kinshasa Democratic Republic of Congo Temple:...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 70
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 21
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S. 9
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 6
- Understanding DNA testing in family... 5