Blue roundup: CBSSports.com sizes up Y. recruiting class
National letter of intent day is Feb. 1, and BYU is putting the finishing touches on its class of 2012.
CBSSports.com provides an overview of the recruiting of non-BCS teams like BYU, Notre Dame and Boise State.
"The Elite 11 MVP Tanner Mangum headlines a solid class for Bronco Mendenhall," writes Chip Patterson. "(Defensive lineman Troy) Hinds is a tall, athletic pass rush specialist and was considered by many the best prospect in the state of Utah."
Former BYU defensive lineman Chris Hoke announced his retirement after playing 11 years for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"Hoke, 35, decided his 11th year with the Steelers would be his curtain call, in part, because of a series of nagging injuries, mostly a neck injury that landed him on injured reserve this past season," according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "'I had a couple of big injuries this year, and it helped put things in perspective for me,' Hoke said. 'I think the man upstairs was talking to me, and it's time for me to move on.' Hoke's wife, Jaimee, and his three sons were at the Steelers' training facility during his emotional farewell. Coach Mike Tomlin, who had been at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., also made an appearance."
Finally, Jimmer Fredette is returning to Utah Saturday when the Sacramento Kings face the Utah Jazz. Deseret News columnist Dick Harmon looks ahead to Jimmer's NBA debut in Salt Lake City.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35