OREM — After picking up a win in last week's Great West Conference opener, Utah Valley University continues league play with a pair of home games this week beginning Thursday at 7:05 p.m. against Chicago State University.
The first 500 fans at Thursday's game will receive a free pink T-shirt as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer week and UVU's Pink with a Purpose; 200 Isiah Williams posters also will be handed out.
The Wolverines (11-10, 1-0) defeated University of North Dakota, 72-64, on Saturday in the UCCU Center, while the Cougars split two home games to open GWC play.
"Chicago State's an improving team, which is a credit to coach (Tracy) Dildy's energy and enthusiasm," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "They're athletic and are going to apply a lot of defensive pressure with multiple looks."
CSU fell by seven to University of Texas-Pan American in its Great West opener before outlasting Houston Baptist University, 98-95, in overtime on Saturday. Jeremy Robinson, who ranks second in the conference in scoring with 15.2 points per game, led the Cougars with 22, while Ardarius Simmons scored 20 and three other players reached double figures.
In UVU's win over UND, Alfonzo Hubbard scored a career-high 17 while Holton Hunsaker scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and dished out six assists. The Wolverines closed out the game on an 11-2 run over the final 3:46 to earn the victory. Utah Valley has won four straight games overall.
On Saturday, UVU welcomes the New Jersey Institute of Technology to Orem at 7:05 p.m. The Highlanders are 2-0 heading into a Thursday contest at North Dakota. After Saturday's game, singer Kalai will perform an acoustic concert for fans in attendance.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8