OREM — After picking up a win in last week's Great West Conference opener, Utah Valley University continues league play with a pair of home games this week beginning Thursday at 7:05 p.m. against Chicago State University.
The first 500 fans at Thursday's game will receive a free pink T-shirt as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer week and UVU's Pink with a Purpose; 200 Isiah Williams posters also will be handed out.
The Wolverines (11-10, 1-0) defeated University of North Dakota, 72-64, on Saturday in the UCCU Center, while the Cougars split two home games to open GWC play.
"Chicago State's an improving team, which is a credit to coach (Tracy) Dildy's energy and enthusiasm," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "They're athletic and are going to apply a lot of defensive pressure with multiple looks."
CSU fell by seven to University of Texas-Pan American in its Great West opener before outlasting Houston Baptist University, 98-95, in overtime on Saturday. Jeremy Robinson, who ranks second in the conference in scoring with 15.2 points per game, led the Cougars with 22, while Ardarius Simmons scored 20 and three other players reached double figures.
In UVU's win over UND, Alfonzo Hubbard scored a career-high 17 while Holton Hunsaker scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and dished out six assists. The Wolverines closed out the game on an 11-2 run over the final 3:46 to earn the victory. Utah Valley has won four straight games overall.
On Saturday, UVU welcomes the New Jersey Institute of Technology to Orem at 7:05 p.m. The Highlanders are 2-0 heading into a Thursday contest at North Dakota. After Saturday's game, singer Kalai will perform an acoustic concert for fans in attendance.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 102
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 57
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 36