OREM — After picking up a win in last week's Great West Conference opener, Utah Valley University continues league play with a pair of home games this week beginning Thursday at 7:05 p.m. against Chicago State University.
The first 500 fans at Thursday's game will receive a free pink T-shirt as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer week and UVU's Pink with a Purpose; 200 Isiah Williams posters also will be handed out.
The Wolverines (11-10, 1-0) defeated University of North Dakota, 72-64, on Saturday in the UCCU Center, while the Cougars split two home games to open GWC play.
"Chicago State's an improving team, which is a credit to coach (Tracy) Dildy's energy and enthusiasm," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "They're athletic and are going to apply a lot of defensive pressure with multiple looks."
CSU fell by seven to University of Texas-Pan American in its Great West opener before outlasting Houston Baptist University, 98-95, in overtime on Saturday. Jeremy Robinson, who ranks second in the conference in scoring with 15.2 points per game, led the Cougars with 22, while Ardarius Simmons scored 20 and three other players reached double figures.
In UVU's win over UND, Alfonzo Hubbard scored a career-high 17 while Holton Hunsaker scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and dished out six assists. The Wolverines closed out the game on an 11-2 run over the final 3:46 to earn the victory. Utah Valley has won four straight games overall.
On Saturday, UVU welcomes the New Jersey Institute of Technology to Orem at 7:05 p.m. The Highlanders are 2-0 heading into a Thursday contest at North Dakota. After Saturday's game, singer Kalai will perform an acoustic concert for fans in attendance.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20