Mitt Romney to attend anniversary celebration of 2002 Winter Olympics
Tom Smart, Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Mitt Romney is taking a break from the presidential campaign trail next month to attend an event in Salt Lake City marking the 10th anniversary of the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Romney, the former head of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee, will speak at a Feb. 18 ice skating show at Energy Solutions Arena.
Tickets to the 7 p.m. "A Tribute to Salt Lake 2002 featuring Stars on Ice," are priced from $20 to $125. Performers will include 2002 Olympic gold medalists Sarah Hughes and pairs skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier.
"The 2002 Olympic Games taught us that our aspirations can become reality. The 3,500 athletes and more than 50,000 members of Team 2002 dared to make their dreams real," Romney said.
The contender for the 2012 Republican nomination also praised "the people of Salt Lake City that made these Olympic Winter Games the best in history."
The ice skating show is intended to raise money to cover the costs of other events associated with the anniversary of the Games.
The events kick-off with a "Relighting the Flame" ceremony for the media on Feb. 8, at the University of Utah's Rice-Eccles Stadium, the site of the Games' Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
On Feb. 18, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., a free sport festival will be held at The Gateway shopping and entertainment complex downtown.
Information about all the events associated with the anniversary is available online, at saltlake2002.com.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Bill would increase incentives for early high...
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- Marc Jenson claims he advised investors early...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 186
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 41
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 36
- LDS statement could move Utah... 29
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 26
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Business community supports tax... 22