Mitt Romney to attend anniversary celebration of 2002 Winter Olympics
Tom Smart, Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Mitt Romney is taking a break from the presidential campaign trail next month to attend an event in Salt Lake City marking the 10th anniversary of the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Romney, the former head of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee, will speak at a Feb. 18 ice skating show at Energy Solutions Arena.
Tickets to the 7 p.m. "A Tribute to Salt Lake 2002 featuring Stars on Ice," are priced from $20 to $125. Performers will include 2002 Olympic gold medalists Sarah Hughes and pairs skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier.
"The 2002 Olympic Games taught us that our aspirations can become reality. The 3,500 athletes and more than 50,000 members of Team 2002 dared to make their dreams real," Romney said.
The contender for the 2012 Republican nomination also praised "the people of Salt Lake City that made these Olympic Winter Games the best in history."
The ice skating show is intended to raise money to cover the costs of other events associated with the anniversary of the Games.
The events kick-off with a "Relighting the Flame" ceremony for the media on Feb. 8, at the University of Utah's Rice-Eccles Stadium, the site of the Games' Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
On Feb. 18, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., a free sport festival will be held at The Gateway shopping and entertainment complex downtown.
Information about all the events associated with the anniversary is available online, at saltlake2002.com.
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 48
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 35
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 22
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8