The foreword of the "2012 Deseret News Church Almanac" invites readers “to peruse the statistics, the histories, the biographies. In the course of some thoughtful reflection, you’ll gain a sensation of the Church in motion.” For 38 years the paperback almanac has provided updates on the growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it continues that tradition in review of 2011.
The News In Review section features members donned in familiar yellow “helping hands” T-shirts and vests after natural disasters hit throughout the world.
Statistics are also of note in the Almanac. The 150 millionth copy of the Book of Mormon was printed during the year and familysearch.org reached 15 billion hits online. A total of nine new temples were announced during 2011 and five new missions were created. In Indonesia the first stake was organized in that country and the church continued to expand into what was called “that vast empire” when the first stake was created in Russia and the second in the former Soviet Union.
Other sections include:
Changes in general church leadership
Administrative and policy announcements
Awards and honors
Listing of past and present general authorities and general auxiliaries
Area maps and statistics of the worldwide church
Temples of the church
Historical chronology of the church
State and country histories
Published by Deseret News, the 608-page almanac sells for $19.95 and can be purchased at Deseret Book stores, by phone at 800-453-4532 or online at Deseretbook.com. More information is at ldschurchnews.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Arizona family shares Christmas greetings...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Defending the Faith: The collective witness...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 85
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its... 84
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 19
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 17
- Catholic high school teacher fired... 14
- Defending the Faith: The collective... 14
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 13
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 12