Joey Ferguson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Nike Chosen Rail Jam landed in Salt Lake on Friday, bringing the locals out to the EnergySolutions Arena. Salt Lake City is the forth stop of the tour, where locals get to showcase their talents and the winner gets an invite to the finals at the Mammoth resort in California for cash prizes.
With a total of seven stops on the tour, Keenan Kelly, tour director said “This will be our most stacked field of riders. There is some great talent across the states and the amateur shredders are really taking riding to the next level.”
The Salt Lake City stop featured 50 to 60 athletes from the state with local rider Parker Worthen taking home the win and the all-important invite to the finals.
“It was a great atmosphere last night,” said Kelly. “Once the lights turned on the music was rolling the riders stepped up and showed their stuff.”
Most of the features used for the jam were permanent fixtures found on the grounds at the Energy Solutions Arena but a few features were also added.
“It was a little intimidating for some riders but once they started going they settled down, even the ladies got after it. For me, seeing the next generation of up-and-coming riders is exciting. The riders push each other and it makes the sport grow.”
The Nike Chosen Rail Jam reaches out to the community to give back to the riders and allow them a place to make their dreams happen. If you missed this year's event, be ready next year when the tour returns to Salt Lake City.
Tyler Tate is the owner and writer of T Squared Action Sports. Follow him on Twitter @TSquaredSports or online www.tsquaredsports.com
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 35
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18