Joey Ferguson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Nike Chosen Rail Jam landed in Salt Lake on Friday, bringing the locals out to the EnergySolutions Arena. Salt Lake City is the forth stop of the tour, where locals get to showcase their talents and the winner gets an invite to the finals at the Mammoth resort in California for cash prizes.
With a total of seven stops on the tour, Keenan Kelly, tour director said “This will be our most stacked field of riders. There is some great talent across the states and the amateur shredders are really taking riding to the next level.”
The Salt Lake City stop featured 50 to 60 athletes from the state with local rider Parker Worthen taking home the win and the all-important invite to the finals.
“It was a great atmosphere last night,” said Kelly. “Once the lights turned on the music was rolling the riders stepped up and showed their stuff.”
Most of the features used for the jam were permanent fixtures found on the grounds at the Energy Solutions Arena but a few features were also added.
“It was a little intimidating for some riders but once they started going they settled down, even the ladies got after it. For me, seeing the next generation of up-and-coming riders is exciting. The riders push each other and it makes the sport grow.”
The Nike Chosen Rail Jam reaches out to the community to give back to the riders and allow them a place to make their dreams happen. If you missed this year's event, be ready next year when the tour returns to Salt Lake City.
Tyler Tate is the owner and writer of T Squared Action Sports. Follow him on Twitter @TSquaredSports or online www.tsquaredsports.com
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 72
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18