Defending champion Dallas Mavericks take 59-50 halftime lead over Jazz
Steve C. Wilson, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — They've lost two in a row, including a heartbreaking last-second loss in Los Angeles less than 24 hours ago.
Despite a slow start to their season, the Dallas Mavericks look every part the defending NBA champions that they are.
Sparked by a strong first-half showing by veteran Shawn Marion, the Mavericks are enjoying a 59-50 lead in the locker room midway through their TNT-televised game tonight against the Utah Jazz.
Marion has hit 7 of 10 shots, and the 8-7 Mavs have also received eight points from Dirk Nowitzki and seven apiece from traditional Jazz-killer Lamar Odom and Rodrigue Beaubois.
The 9-4 Jazz, meanwhile, are trailing despite a 14-point first half by Al Jefferson. C.J. Miles also has 10 points.
Utah is without former Dallas standout Josh Howard, whose strained left quad is getting better but hasn't healed to the point he's able to play.
Derrick Favors, however, returned after missing one game from a sprained left ankle.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 16
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 15