Defending champion Dallas Mavericks take 59-50 halftime lead over Jazz
Steve C. Wilson, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — They've lost two in a row, including a heartbreaking last-second loss in Los Angeles less than 24 hours ago.
Despite a slow start to their season, the Dallas Mavericks look every part the defending NBA champions that they are.
Sparked by a strong first-half showing by veteran Shawn Marion, the Mavericks are enjoying a 59-50 lead in the locker room midway through their TNT-televised game tonight against the Utah Jazz.
Marion has hit 7 of 10 shots, and the 8-7 Mavs have also received eight points from Dirk Nowitzki and seven apiece from traditional Jazz-killer Lamar Odom and Rodrigue Beaubois.
The 9-4 Jazz, meanwhile, are trailing despite a 14-point first half by Al Jefferson. C.J. Miles also has 10 points.
Utah is without former Dallas standout Josh Howard, whose strained left quad is getting better but hasn't healed to the point he's able to play.
Derrick Favors, however, returned after missing one game from a sprained left ankle.
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- 5A state swimming: Sky View girls surprise...
- Can Cougars sweep their first WCC road trip...
- Hood earns bragging rights over Lyles and...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38