Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — The Cougars were stunned at home by the Lions, losing 82-68. As one could well imagine, they didn't score well with their overall grades as a result.
Noah Hartsock all but kept BYU in the game during too much of the night. With his teammates struggling mightily, Hartsock hit on 10 of his first 11 shots — providing almost the team's entire offensive output during the first half of play.
Hartsock disappeared for too much of the second half, however, finishing with 28 points and four rebounds.
Brandon Davies struggled to find his game for most of the night before hitting some key shots late, but it was far too little too late. He finished with 14 points and nine rebounds. Grade: C+
Charles Abouo was limited with foul trouble in the first half after a promising start. He wasn't able to provide much for most of the game, finishing with just 10 points on 3-9 shooting.
Abouo was also on the wrong end of a couple of key turnovers late, which isn't what you'd expect from a veteran senior. He was able to contribute a couple of baskets late, but by then the game was well out of hand.
Brock Zylstra, like most of the team, was ice cold throughout the first half. He did show some spark early the second half and finished with seven points on 2-7 shooting.
Defensively, the Cougar wings did a poor job containing Drew Ivey, who hit some big shots, scoring a total of 21. Grade: D
Matt Carlino followed up his best game, as a Cougar, with what may have been his worst. He struggled finding his shot the entire night, finishing with just five points on 2-10 shooting while dishing out three assists.
Craig Cusick missed on all three of his shots but did provide some key defense on Anthony Ireland when BYU made its run early the second half. He also distributed the ball well, dishing out four assists. Grade: D
To lose to the Lions at home while trailing for almost the entire game was a shock. Perhaps this team needed a wake-up call, but the overall effort at home wasn't there.
The team was atrocious from the perimeter, hitting on just 2 of 25 3-point attempts while allowing the LMU back court way too many scoring opportunities. They were able to show some life midway through the second half, and even looked as if they'd come back to win the game before folding in the final four minutes. Grade: D
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has torn...
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast Washington...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- Bubble watch: BYU playing the waiting game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 56
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 35
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32