Socialism — Margaret Thatcher said it best and it applies to Europe. ... “The trouble with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.”
Travel — Spending on global tourism remains solid, even as visitors largely avoid political “hot spots.” Those visiting the U.S. are big spenders.
U.S.A. — Nearly three times the size of China’s $5.5 trillion annual economy with one-fourth as many people. In my book, that says American workers are roughly 10-12 times more productive.
Volatility — Pick any descriptor economic financial market political.
WWW — The World Wide Web continues to be both amazing and cluttered with junk. Still, estimates suggest we have tapped only 10 to 20 percent of the Internet’s potential. Global companies using it are expected to save in excess of $1 trillion in operating costs during the next three years.
eXports — Heaven forbid you gather a room full of economists! The only thing we will largely agree on is that steps to build bridges to trade are positive steps to build barriers to trade are not.
Young people (around the world) — Facing a rising tax burden in coming decades to finance the retirement years of baby boomers (and boomers’ parents) if minor changes are not soon made.
Zones (trading) — As before, Asian, European, and North American trade zones will dominate trade flows.
Jeff Thredgold is the only economist in the world to have earned the CSP (certified speaking professional) international designation, the highest earned designation in professional speaking. He is also economic consultant to Zions Bank.
- Renewable energy advocates decry proposed...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- The Gateway adding new dining concept
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Overstock employees ride bicycles to work to...
- Batman's true mission: The search for...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 12
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 10
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 7
- New solar energy project at Utah... 6
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 4
- Beef pollutes more than pork, poultry,... 2
- Airlines scrap Israel flights over... 2