Blue roundup: ESPN.com's Joe Lunardi projects BYU as a No. 12 seed in NCAA Tournament
Although the BYU basketball team has won five straight games and boast a 16-4 record overall, the Cougars are listed as one of the teams on the NCAA Tournament bubble, according to Joe Lunardi's latest edition of Bracketology.
BYU is projected as a No. 12 seed, facing a No. 5 seed, old Mountain West Conference rival San Diego State in Portland.
Former Cougar star Jimmer Fredette is experiencing a bumpy rookie season with the Sacramento Kings. A Cowbell Kingdom blogger compares Fredette to former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Fernando Valenzuela.
"Fernando busted onto the major league baseball scene as a 19-year old phenom for the Los Angeles Dodgers during the 1980 pennant chase. But, Fernandomania really began the following season when the portly young man out of Navajoa, Mexico stormed the NL, winning both the Cy Young award and the Rookie of the Year trophy. The rest, as they say, is history. Fernando embraced the noise. He embraced the fame and each and every night, he rose above his own talent level on the backs of adoring fans.
"Are you starting to understand the correlation yet? Like Jimmer and his loyal group of LDS followers, Fernando had to carry the torch for the Mexican people. Both men achieved iconic status before they were old enough to drink. The pressure on both? Tremendous. So why is Jimmer struggling now? What’s ailing one of the best shooters to ever play at the NCAA level? Jimmer stopped buying in. Somewhere along the way, Jimmer stopped believing in Jimmermania."
This blog suggests Fredette "faces a long uphill climb in the NBA."
Turning to football, former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps met with the media in Kansas to discuss his future with the Jayhawks.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39