SYRACUSE — A Syracuse teen is lucky to be alive after he used a computer cleaning product to get high and passed out while driving Sunday, police said.
Spencer Nicolas, 18, was driving on 700 South near 3300 West with a passenger when he passed out after inhaling an air duster, a canned product used to clean computer keyboards. The practice of inhaling fumes to get high, known as huffing, is a growing problem, police said.
After Nicolas passed out, the passenger grabbed the wheel and tried to control the vehicle, but it rolled over several times, eventually landing back on its wheels.
"The occupants of the crash are fortunate that the injuries aren't more severe," said police Sgt. Heath Rogers.
Nicolas was cited for driving under the influence, abuse of a psychotoxic chemical, failure to use a seat belt and failure to stop at a stop sign. He was transported to McKay Dee Hospital and has since been released.
Syracuse police said this was the second huffing incident so far this year. Two weeks ago, a woman passed out in the parking lot of a Syracuse Walmart after huffing air dust she stole from the store.
"We've been seeing more juveniles (and) adults huffing air dust," Rogers said.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 52
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17