Editor's note: With the upcoming 100-year celebration of the LDS Church's seminary program, Mormon Times is sharing experiences and blessing from those who participated in seminary.
For a high school drama queen, waking up at 6 a.m. was an everyday struggle. I learned early on to dread the incessant beating of an alarm clock and effectively dragged my feet as my father pushed me out the door.
As I came to realize that no matter what excuse I used, I still had to go, I started to succumb to the plea of my seminary teacher to read my scriptures every day and learn the elusive 25 scripture masteries. It helped that my teacher promised a steak dinner for those who completed the assigned book and memorized the scripture masteries.
As I read, I didn't notice right away the effect my diligence had on my own spiritual life — that is, until one day, I was sitting in class and the teacher asked us a question. Right away I knew the answer in my mind and felt it in my heart. More significantly, I also knew that the answer didn't come from my own brain.
It was through reading the scriptures every day and effectively studying them that I was able to have the spirit in my life. This opened the door for my own personal revelation. This was significant because, as I continue to live my life, that experience stands out to me as one of the first times I recognized the promptings of the Spirit and a distinct moment where I felt personal revelation.
As I continued through the program, I felt a greater love of the Book Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, New Testament and Old Testament. I learned that an effective study of those books could help me every day in my life, especially since the pressures of high school seemed overwhelming at times.
Though my beginnings in the seminary program started rough, completing the program with honors was one of the greatest feelings of accomplishment I experienced in high school.
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- LDS Church announces Cedar City temple...
- Family walks from Disneyland to Disney World...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- LDS missionaries to return to Liberia, Sierra...
- New image of what Jesus may have looked like...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 26
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 24
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 14
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer... 8
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6