UVU men's basketball: Big second half pushes Wolverines past Saint Mary
OREM — Utah Valley scored 57 second-half points and six Wolverines finished in double figures for the second straight game as UVU (10-10) defeated the University of Saint Mary, 98-72, Monday night in the UCCU Center.
The Wolverines’ big second half came on scorching 81-percent shooting from the field (21-26) leading to a season-high in points (98) and assists (26).
“I like the direction we’re headed. It’s taken us a long time to get a definition in roles and I think we still have a substantial way to go, but this is a team that’s headed in the right direction,” UVU coach Dick Hunsaker said.
“Saint Mary came with a lot of energy. They really played like a team that came in here 14-3. I thought we wore them down in the second half, played better position defense and were able to knock some balls loose and create some offense out of that.”
Geddes Robinson, who finished with a game-high 12 rebounds, also scored 15 points for his eighth double-double on the year. Ben Aird was the leading scorer for UVU, scoring a season-high 18 on 7-of-10 shooting and coming up with eight rebounds.
Holton Hunsaker scored 16 points to go along with a career-high nine assists and also swiped four steals.
Isiah Williams, who was named Great West Conference player of the Week earlier in the day, finished with 14 points, while Alfonzo Hubbard and Keith Thompson finished with 13 and 12, respectively, to round out UVU’s double-digit scorers.
Robinson had his double-double before halftime, scoring 12 points and securing 11 rebounds in the first twenty minutes.
UVU kicks off the GWC season Saturday when North Dakota visits the UCCU Center. Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. The Wolverines — the defending conference champions —and UND — the defending conference tournament champions — were selected in the preseason to finish first and second, respectively, in the coaches preseason poll.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- High school football: Bountiful High coach...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 80
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 32
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29