Fremont Silver Wolves shut down cross-town rival Weber, 51-38
PLAIN CITY — The Fremont boys basketball team came focused and ready to play Friday night in the Wolf Den in front of a packed house as they began Region 1 play against their cross-town rival, the Weber Warriors.
Their stingy defense, along with some clutch foul shooting at the end of the game, helped them defeat the 10-1 Weber Warriors 51-38 to claim their first Region 1 victory of the season.
Behind the stellar inside play of Brock Smith and the guard play of Rowdi Stucki, Fremont held a two-point advantage and led 11-9 at the end of the first quarter.
The Silver Wolf defense held the Warriors to just one field goal in the entire first half, and the rest of their points came from the foul line, as the fouls were a bit lopsided in the first half in favor of Weber. However, Fremont still held a nine-point lead going into the locker room at halftime, 27-18.
The free throws were pretty much the only thing that kept Weber in the game in the first half. The second half, however, was a different story. Fremont came out with the same intensity and passion it showed in the first half and battled against the Warriors as the team held onto a 34-27 lead at the end of three quarters of play.
Fremont stayed dedicated throughout the final period of play, fighting through the foul trouble and through the wave of attacks made by the Warriors in their attempts to come back and snatch the victory. They stayed poised on defense, creating some crucial turnovers that led to easy points to keep their lead to at least a two-possession game.
In the final minutes of the game, Weber began to apply full-court pressure, but Fremont wasn’t fazed by it, moving the ball up the court and making Weber foul them. The Silver Wolves made most of their free throws and earned a final score of 51-38. Brock Smith and Rowdi Stucki led the Wolves with 12 points apiece, and Warrior Hayden Schenk had 16 points for Weber in the loss.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0