Provided by Tiffany Sowby
Editor's note: With the upcoming 100-year celebration of the LDS Church's seminary program, Mormon Times is sharing experiences and blessing from those who participated in seminary.
Five months after moving to Utah from a different country, I started seminary. I had just made the switch from being the only Mormon in my 500-plus-student school to having 40 minutes of my school day devoted to studying the gospel. It was a complete novelty to me! I immediately loved seminary.
My first year in seminary was during my ninth-grade year. The New Testament was the course of study. I quickly grew to love the New Testament and learned about the life of Jesus Christ in a more personal way than any Sunday School class thus far in my young life. Toward the end of the school year, our seminary class was given an end-of-year assignment to write a short essay answering the question, "What think ye of Christ?"
I recall taking on the task with the typical approach of a school assignment. However, it didn't take long for my young teenage mind to realize this assignment was anything but typical. I will never forget sitting at our family computer transferring the writing in my notebook to the final draft that would soon be printed.
As I typed the assignment, I suddenly realized, "This is a testimony! I have a testimony of Jesus Christ!"
Though I went on to attend three more years of seminary, nothing stands out to me quite as much as the "What think ye of Christ" assignment. I will forever be grateful to my ninth-grade seminary teacher, Brother Meidell, for giving me the assignment to think specifically about what I thought of Jesus Christ.
My life has certainly been blessed from participating in the seminary program of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Even now, almost 23 years later, I occasionally think about that end-of-year assignment. How could I not? My simple two-page, double spaced essay served as the foundation of what is now a strong, undeniable testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ.
Tiffany Sowby and her husband Mike are the parents of five children. Tiffany's passion for motherhood and writing come together at www.ourmostofthetimehappyfamily.blogspot.com
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- LDS stake presidency participates in ALS Ice...
- 'Frozen' star Santino Fontana discusses...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- Mormon teen, future U. gymnast earns silvers...
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 82
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Obama administration announces new... 19
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 16
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role... 15
- Amish country bristles at... 9