Odds and Ends: A lightning-struck organ, generous donations and language diversity
Old age and an unfortunate lightning strike numbered the days of a beloved organ in the Geneva Presbyterian Church in Switzerland. But according to the Florida Times-Union, a generous seller in Provo, Utah, had them singing again with an organ that occasionally accompanied the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
“It was in the middle of the showroom floor. The sun was shining. The sun was shining on this instrument,” said organist Sharon Murawski of her trip to Utah to purcahse the instrument. “It was a beautiful sight.”
Across the world in California, the Pomerado News reported that the Green Valley Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is helping out another congregation in the area. The Community Church of Poway just received $13,000 from the local ward, helping community members to reach their $60,000 goal to restore the 150-year-old chapel.
“This is a wonderful act of interfaith cooperation and builds on a most rewarding and warm relationship between our congregations,” said the Rev. Glen D. Larsen Jr., pastor of the Community Church. “With these funds, together with those already contributed, we will be able to complete the first two, and largest, phases of our project."
Church members attending a new LDS chapel in the Houston area are sure to be a little confused if they accidently step into the wrong meeting. According to the Mormon blogger of the Houston Chronicle, the building is now serving three different languages: English, Spanish and Vietnamese.
"Walking down the hallway in the Dairy Ashford meeting house is like visiting the United Nations," said blogger Heather Hemingway. "If you observe those around you, you would notice many national origins and hear at least three distinct languages, spoken all at the same time during certain hours."
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay unions...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- 'Hollywood goes to Mormon country': BYU...
- Courage and valor: A bizarre order for a WWII...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 74
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 59
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay... 52
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 42
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 28
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23