Washington attorneys prepare for Steven Powell trial in March
TACOMA, Wash. — The trial of Steven Powell on charges of voyeurism and possession of child pornography is expected to last a week and Powell is expected to fight the allegations.
On Thursday, a final court hearing was held in Tacoma before Powell's trial is scheduled to begin March 20.
Powell, the father of Josh Powell and father-in-law of Susan Cox Powell, the West Valley mother of two who has been missing for more than two years, was arrested in September and later charged in Pierce County Superior Court with 14 counts of voyeurism and one count of possession of child pornography.
Steven Powell is accused of using a telephoto lens to take pictures of his neighbors' young children without their knowledge while they were in a bathroom.
According to court documents filed during an omnibus hearing on Thursday, Steven Powell's defense attorneys indicated the general nature of their defense would be "general denial." Other possible answers available to defense attorneys, but not chosen, were "alibi," "consent," "insanity" and "diminished capacity."
A box on the court papers labeled, "Defense has received a plea offer from the state," was left unchecked.
The court papers also say Steven Powell has no known prior criminal convictions.
Attorneys are requesting a jury trial that is expected to last six to eight days. Powell has remained in the Pierce County Jail since his arrest.
Josh Powell, who is trying to win back custody of his two young boys after a court ordered them to be temporarily placed with Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, recently filed a notice with the court indicating he had moved out of his father's house. Powell told the court he has a new primary address in Puyallup, Wash.
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Kearns home a total loss after accidental fire
- Man with gunshot wound collapses in West...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Biskupski's pick to lead public... 13