SALT LAKE CITY — The family of junior high school student struck by a car while using a crosswalk on her way to school in November has filed a lawsuit against the Granite School District, as well as state and county agencies.
According to a lawsuit filed Thursday in 3rd District Court, the 12-year-old girl was on her way to Matheson Junior High School about 7:30 a.m. when she was hit by a car while crossing 3500 South at the intersection of 7730 West in Magna.
Signs with yellow lights designate the speed limit in the area at 20 mph when the beacons are flashing, notifying drivers of a school zone. According to the lawsuit, the lights should have been flashing that morning but were not.
"(The driver's) speed greatly exceeded the reduced limit, as he was without adequate notice of the school crossing," the lawsuit states.
The lawsuit alleges that the school district, Salt Lake County, Utah Department of Transportation and Unified Police Authority "failed to properly maintain and operate the speed limit sign beacons within the reduced-speed zone."
That alleged negligence, according to the lawsuit, led to the accident in which the girl "sustained serious and permanent injuries."
The girl's family is seeking an undisclosed amount of money for pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses and impaired earning capacity, the lawsuit states.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17