SALT LAKE CITY — The family of junior high school student struck by a car while using a crosswalk on her way to school in November has filed a lawsuit against the Granite School District, as well as state and county agencies.
According to a lawsuit filed Thursday in 3rd District Court, the 12-year-old girl was on her way to Matheson Junior High School about 7:30 a.m. when she was hit by a car while crossing 3500 South at the intersection of 7730 West in Magna.
Signs with yellow lights designate the speed limit in the area at 20 mph when the beacons are flashing, notifying drivers of a school zone. According to the lawsuit, the lights should have been flashing that morning but were not.
"(The driver's) speed greatly exceeded the reduced limit, as he was without adequate notice of the school crossing," the lawsuit states.
The lawsuit alleges that the school district, Salt Lake County, Utah Department of Transportation and Unified Police Authority "failed to properly maintain and operate the speed limit sign beacons within the reduced-speed zone."
That alleged negligence, according to the lawsuit, led to the accident in which the girl "sustained serious and permanent injuries."
The girl's family is seeking an undisclosed amount of money for pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses and impaired earning capacity, the lawsuit states.
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Utah defends anti-polygamy law, saying it...
- Families protest at final prison relocation...
- State parks of Utah: Northern region
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 52
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Families protest at final prison... 27
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 15