If I just had one of those days where the only thing left for me to do was pour a hot bath with my favorite scented bubbles, fill the room with candles and just breathe, then there’s one artist that totally fits the calming, relaxation bill to a T: Norah Jones.
Who else has a voice that sounds like slowly melting chocolate? Who else can sweetly croon away my stresses and worries of the day with a song like “Come Away With Me?”
Amid the “more is more” philosophy that has taken over the music industry, Jones made music soothing to the soul — without all the “extras” that pop music is all gung-ho for.
I love that Jones writes such sweet yet complex melodies. I love her ability to sit at a piano bench and, even though she’s not facing the audience, completely have command over a room. She has the ability to create an inviting feeling of warmth and nostalgia.
My husband and I attended one of her concerts out at USANA Amphitheater a few years back. I remember a huge Persian rug spread across the entire stage. I remember hundreds of electric candles dancing softly to the smooth strains of her music. I remember Jones cracking jokes and being somewhat surprised by her quirky stage persona — and not at all surprised that her live performance sounded better than her record.
And while her more recent albums have picked up the pace a bit and added a touch more of a “coffee house cool” vibe, she stills remains true to her signature sweet sound. Her music always stirs up fond memories for me, such as dancing with my husband.
I always seem to breathe a huge sigh when I listen to her music and that’s what I love about Norah Jones.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former “American Idol” contestant and writes about entertainment for the Deseret News.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- Netflix unveils new way to share recommendations
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Study: Action-packed TV might make you snack...
- Inquiries begin into nude celebrity photo leaks
- It's not just Hello Kitty: Japan's character...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 9
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 5
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 4
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 2
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer... 1
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in... 1