Utah APH providing workshops to help people start a personal history
The Utah Chapter of the Association of Personal Historians will be putting on workshops and introductory presentations on preserving life stories. These free events start Jan. 17 at more than a dozen participating public libraries from Logan to Manti.
The introductory presentation topic, given by Utah APH members across 10 counties, will be “Using Life Stories to Bridge Generations."
For in-depth assistance, other workshops are available in Salt Lake and Utah Counties, including the topics “Preserving Personal History in Audio & Video Formats” (Bingham Creek and Herriman libraries), “Project-based Life Story Writing” (Whitmore Library) and “Save Your Stories, Bind Your Family” (Orem City Library).
In 2011, Utah APH called for stories from the community. Its efforts resulted in a diverse anthology of stories from 58 contributors, including POWs, refugees, abuse survivors and many others. As a result, Utah APH published, "One World, Many Stories, Seeking Freedom and Dignity, Experiences of Utah Residents."
The book is available online and at two community bookstores. Book signings with various authors are scheduled at the King’s English Bookstore (Feb. 11) and the new Wellers Book Works (Feb. 18) in Salt Lake City. Spring events are free and open to the public.
Utah APH has planned other events during the year. A guest keynote speaker at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center in West Valley City on Nov. 3 will encourage the spirit of diversity in recording life stories. For a complete schedule of events, to register for workshops or purchase the book, visit the www.utahaph.blogspot.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Paulette Stevens at 801-261-5203.
Utah APH 2012 Community Outreach Spring Schedule of Events
Preserving Personal History in Audio & Video Formats
• Salt Lake County: Bingham Creek Library: 4834 W. 9000 South, West Jordan, Tuesdays, Jan. 24, Feb. 7, 21 and March 6, 10:30 a.m.; Herriman Library, 5380 W. Main Street, Herriman, Tuesdays, Jan. 17, 31, Feb. 14, 28, 10:30 a.m.
Project-based Life Story Writing
• Salt Lake County: Whitmore Library, 2197 E. Fort Union Blvd., Cottonwood Heights, Thursdays, March 8, 22, and April 12, 26, 7 p.m.
Save Your Stories, Bind Your Family
• Utah County: Orem City Library, 58 N. State Street, Orem, Thursdays, April 5, 12, 19, 26, and May 3, 10, 10 a.m.
Introductory Presentation: Using Life Stories to Bridge Generations
• Cache County: North Logan Library, 475 E. 2500 North, North Logan, Tuesday, Feb. 7, 7 p.m.
• Davis County: Bountiful Library, 45 S. 400 West, Bountiful, Thursday, Feb. 9, 23 at 7 p.m.
• Salt Lake County: Anderson Library, 1135 S. 2100 East, Salt Lake City, Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 7 p.m.; Magna Library, 8339 W. 3500 South, Magna, Monday, Feb. 27, 7 p.m.; Salt Lake City Main Library, 210 E. 400 South, Salt Lake City, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 7 p.m.
• Sanpete County: Manti City Library, 2 South Main, Manti, Saturday, March 3, 11 a.m.
• Summit County: Park City Library, 1255 Park Avenue, Park City, Tuesday, Feb. 7, 7 p.m.
• Tooele County: Tooele City Library, 128 W. Vine Street, Tooele, Tuesdays, March 13 and March 27 at 10:30 a.m.
• Utah County: Orem City Library, 58 N. State Street, Orem, Tuesday, March 6, 7 p.m.
• Wasatch County: Heber City Library, 465 E. 1200 South, Heber City, Tuesday, Feb. 21, 6 p.m.
• Weber County: North Ogden Library, 475 E. 2600 North, North Ogden, Thursday, March 15, 6 p.m.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- The Clean Cut: LDS First Presidency shares...
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Heroes 2014: Christian leader exiled from...
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 77
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 18
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 14
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution 13
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- North Ogden to make Nativity display... 8
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 5
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 5