Dave Clark launches bid for Congress at St. George economic summit
Ravell Call, Deseret News
ST. GEORGE — Former Utah House Speaker Dave Clark launched his campaign for the 2nd Congressional District seat Wednesday.
Clark, a Republican, made the announcement at the Washington County Economic Summit. He said Congress has lost the faith of Utahns and the American people by becoming mired in debt, deficits and distrust.
First elected to the state House in 2000, Clark has served as both majority leader and speaker, as well as the chairman of the Health Reform Task Force. He was replaced as speaker in 2010 by Rep. Becky Lockhart, R-Provo, in a close vote.
During the recent redrawing of the state's congressional districts to reflect the 2010 census, Clark pushed for new 2nd District boundaries that would make it more likely for a southern Utahn to win the seat.
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- Lane splits on I-15 near Point of the Mountain
- UVU hopes to become 'national leader' with...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 27
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- Hatch plays key role in Senate passing... 12