LOGAN — An assistant professor of Mathematics Education at Utah State University has been placed on administrative leave amid allegations of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
Dickey Noto Afiah Ng, 38, who was charged Dec. 14 with unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old in 1st District Court, was placed on paid administrative leave Tuesday, said Tim Vitale, director of public relations and marketing for the university.
"We became aware yesterday of the charges and so we immediately took action," he said Wednesday. "We put (employees) on paid administrative leave until we are able to look into the circumstances surrounding the charges. We see where the courts go and then make a decision from there."
Vitale said Ng has been at the university since 2009. He currently works in the School of Teacher Education and Leadership.
North Park Police Chief Kim Hawkes said Ng and an adolescent male were found engaged in inappropriate conduct in a car by an officer on a routine patrol near Green Canyon on Dec. 10.
"(The officer) noticed a car pulled off to the side of the road and, at that time of the morning, he stopped to check that everything was OK and that's how he made contact with the suspect and victim," Hawkes said.
The officer did not arrest Ng at that time because he was not aware that the other male was under the age of 18, but when his age was discovered, the case was turned over to the Cache County Attorney's Office.
Hawkes said Ng met the teenager over the Internet.
An initial appearance on the charge has been scheduled for Feb. 6.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14