USU professor on leave, faces charges of sex with minor
LOGAN — An assistant professor of Mathematics Education at Utah State University has been placed on administrative leave amid allegations of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
Dickey Noto Afiah Ng, 38, who was charged Dec. 14 with unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old in 1st District Court, was placed on paid administrative leave Tuesday, said Tim Vitale, director of public relations and marketing for the university.
"We became aware yesterday of the charges and so we immediately took action," he said Wednesday. "We put (employees) on paid administrative leave until we are able to look into the circumstances surrounding the charges. We see where the courts go and then make a decision from there."
Vitale said Ng has been at the university since 2009. He currently works in the School of Teacher Education and Leadership.
North Park Police Chief Kim Hawkes said Ng and an adolescent male were found engaged in inappropriate conduct in a car by an officer on a routine patrol near Green Canyon on Dec. 10.
"(The officer) noticed a car pulled off to the side of the road and, at that time of the morning, he stopped to check that everything was OK and that's how he made contact with the suspect and victim," Hawkes said.
The officer did not arrest Ng at that time because he was not aware that the other male was under the age of 18, but when his age was discovered, the case was turned over to the Cache County Attorney's Office.
Hawkes said Ng met the teenager over the Internet.
An initial appearance on the charge has been scheduled for Feb. 6.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Judge tosses snowboarders' lawsuit demanding...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 94
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18