Keith Johnson, Deseret News
Andy Miller, a spokesman for Park City Mountain Resort where Burke was training, said he did not know the extent of her injuries. Burke was injured while training at the resort's Eagle Superpipe, Miller said.
"She sustained injuries, was stabilized on the scene by the Park City Mountain Resort mountain patrol and transported to the base patrol," Miller said.
Miller and other sources had little information. But ESPN, which runs the X Games, reported that Burke was injured in a fall and transported to University Hospital in Salt Lake City.
The Toronto Star reported Tuesday evening that Burke is in a coma.
And powder.com quoted an anonymous witness who said Burke landed on her feet at the bottom of the pipe after completing trick off the wall, but "whiplashed" over onto her side, obviously injured.
Burke is a member of the Canadian Freestyle Ski Team. She was preparing to defend her title at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colo., later this month.
Her husband, Rory Bushfield, who is also a pro skier, tweeted early Tuesday evening to ask if anyone with a private jet could quickly fly him and Burke's mother from Vancouver to Salt Lake City.
Miller said the Eagle Superpipe is also where snowboarder Kevin Pearce was severely injured during training on Dec. 31, 2009.
The defending Winter X Games Women's SuperPipe champion, Burke has won four gold medals and four other medals at the X Games. Burke also won ESPN's ESPY award for best female action sports athlete.
Burke is a resident of Squamish, British Columbia, between Vancouver and Whistler, which played host to the 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 21
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 17
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11