Family, brothers in blue honor fallen Ogden officer
The most meaningful part of tomorrow's ceremonies for law enforcers will be the interment where Francom will be buried with full honors, Myers said. An honor guard will present a U.S. flag to Francom's widow. There will also be a 21-gun salute, taps, a fly-over and a "final 10-42" call over the police radio signaling an end of duty.
Among those listed as the honorary casket bearers are the five other officers who were injured while either entering the home with Francom or responding as backup to help their wounded brethren.
Ogden police officers Kasey Burrell, Michael Rounkles and Shawn Grogan were all listed in fair condition Tuesday, said McKay-Dee Hospital Center spokesman Chris Dallin. Until Tuesday, Burrell had been listed in critical condition.
Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson left the hospital Sunday, and Roy police officer Jason VanderWarf was released from the hospital Thursday.
"This is probably the most challenging funeral I've been part of, but also the most rewarding," Myers said, "because we're honoring a man who gave his life to serve his community."
The donations from the community had been "unbelievable," he said, including a company that donated the headstone for Francom's gravesite. On Facebook, a petition has been started to have the Ogden Amphitheatre named after Francom.
Several dignitaries were expected to attend the funeral, including Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and possibly Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, as well as officials from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
When asked how he hopes his brother will be remembered, Travis Francom didn't hesitate.
"Just simply as a hero," he said, "to not only me (but) to the other officers that were involved."
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14