Family, brothers in blue honor fallen Ogden officer
The most meaningful part of tomorrow's ceremonies for law enforcers will be the interment where Francom will be buried with full honors, Myers said. An honor guard will present a U.S. flag to Francom's widow. There will also be a 21-gun salute, taps, a fly-over and a "final 10-42" call over the police radio signaling an end of duty.
Among those listed as the honorary casket bearers are the five other officers who were injured while either entering the home with Francom or responding as backup to help their wounded brethren.
Ogden police officers Kasey Burrell, Michael Rounkles and Shawn Grogan were all listed in fair condition Tuesday, said McKay-Dee Hospital Center spokesman Chris Dallin. Until Tuesday, Burrell had been listed in critical condition.
Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson left the hospital Sunday, and Roy police officer Jason VanderWarf was released from the hospital Thursday.
"This is probably the most challenging funeral I've been part of, but also the most rewarding," Myers said, "because we're honoring a man who gave his life to serve his community."
The donations from the community had been "unbelievable," he said, including a company that donated the headstone for Francom's gravesite. On Facebook, a petition has been started to have the Ogden Amphitheatre named after Francom.
Several dignitaries were expected to attend the funeral, including Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and possibly Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, as well as officials from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
When asked how he hopes his brother will be remembered, Travis Francom didn't hesitate.
"Just simply as a hero," he said, "to not only me (but) to the other officers that were involved."
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12