Family, brothers in blue honor fallen Ogden officer
The most meaningful part of tomorrow's ceremonies for law enforcers will be the interment where Francom will be buried with full honors, Myers said. An honor guard will present a U.S. flag to Francom's widow. There will also be a 21-gun salute, taps, a fly-over and a "final 10-42" call over the police radio signaling an end of duty.
Among those listed as the honorary casket bearers are the five other officers who were injured while either entering the home with Francom or responding as backup to help their wounded brethren.
Ogden police officers Kasey Burrell, Michael Rounkles and Shawn Grogan were all listed in fair condition Tuesday, said McKay-Dee Hospital Center spokesman Chris Dallin. Until Tuesday, Burrell had been listed in critical condition.
Weber County Sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson left the hospital Sunday, and Roy police officer Jason VanderWarf was released from the hospital Thursday.
"This is probably the most challenging funeral I've been part of, but also the most rewarding," Myers said, "because we're honoring a man who gave his life to serve his community."
The donations from the community had been "unbelievable," he said, including a company that donated the headstone for Francom's gravesite. On Facebook, a petition has been started to have the Ogden Amphitheatre named after Francom.
Several dignitaries were expected to attend the funeral, including Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and possibly Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, as well as officials from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
When asked how he hopes his brother will be remembered, Travis Francom didn't hesitate.
"Just simply as a hero," he said, "to not only me (but) to the other officers that were involved."
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Officials tackling existing, expected...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Family wins security system, keeps son on...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 58
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 22
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15